Landing on Mars

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
NASA prepares for '7 minutes of terror' on Mars - Unexplained Mysteries

The space agency's InSight lander will be descending 80 miles through the Martian atmosphere on Monday.
Having traveled more than 89 million miles since its launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base back in May, the ambitious spacecraft is currently on track to reach Mars on November 26th.

Actually getting the probe safely on to the Martian surface however is no easy task - it has to slow from 12,300mph to just 5mph during a make-or-break descent referred to as '7 minutes of terror'.

"Landing on Mars is hard. It takes skill, focus and years of preparation," said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate.

"Keeping in mind our ambitious goal to eventually send humans to the surface of the Moon and then Mars, I know that our incredible science and engineering team - the only in the world to have successfully landed spacecraft on the Martian surface - will do everything they can to successfully land InSight on the Red Planet."

If InSight does survive the descent, the $1 billion lander will attempt to learn more about what lies beneath the surface of the Red Planet using an array of instruments including a burrowing temperature sensor and a seismometer designed to detect Marsquakes.

"This mission will probe the interior of another terrestrial planet, giving us an idea of the size of the core, the mantle, the crust and our ability then to compare that with the Earth," said NASA chief scientist Jim Green.

"This is of fundamental importance to understand the origin of our solar system and how it became the way it is today."

On a related note, I just started watching the TV series “Mars” on the History Channel. Seems it began airing in 2016 but the second season just started this month.

I’d urge anyone with an interest in Mars to take a peak. It is a serial show so I think you’d enjoy it most if you can watch season one first.

It’s kind of novel in that the show shifts between the fictional account of the first astronauts going to Mars in 2030 and actual real life related science activity here on Earth in 2016. For example, they talk with Elon Musk about SpaceX’ role in getting humans to Mars.

The fictional story in the most recent season 2 episode is about life and death on Mars. Interesting points they share about how a child born on Mars could never visit Earth because of the significant difference in gravities. Just as interesting is how the writers actually dovetailed that point into the fictional story.

Reactions: Debi
Thanks debi. This is gonna get interesting. I hope the govt will allow us to really see what’s there.

Interesting points they share about how a child born on Mars could never visit Earth because of the significant difference in gravities. Just as interesting is how the writers actually dovetailed that point into the fictional story.

that is a good show. this part that is quoted made me think though....if someone born on mars couldn't live on earth, then following that line of reasoning, we on earth couldn't colonize any planet with gravity greater than earths, kinda further limits our search for habitable planets then.... but it also could play into the ancient alien theory of the nephilm or fallen angels being alien.... that would be why they were giants....so could there actually be something to the ancient legends of the annunaki and such giant visitors

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Reactions: Debi