King Arthur and the stone writings

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
King Arthur birthplace: Stone inscriptions could 'prove' legend was born in CORNWALL

King Arthur birthplace: Stone inscriptions could 'prove' legend was born in CORNWALL
KING Arthur could have been born in Cornwall, experts have suggested as they say a stone covered in ancient writing could possibly hold the key to discovering the legend's birthplace

Arthur1-copy-974910.jpg

According to legend, Tintagel Castle in north Cornwall is considered to be the birthplace of the folklore monarch, in the late fifth century.

But there has been little to no proof that the famous king was born in the south-west county.

Experts previously believed that the King and Queen Guinevere were buried in the grounds of the Abbey at Glastonbury in Somerset.

The windowsill stone, which was part of an ancient cliff ledge, features Latin inscriptions, Greek lettering and Christain symbiology, thought to date back to the seventh century AD.

Tintagel curator Win Scutt said of the find: "It's incredible to think that 1,300 years ago, on this dramatic Cornish cliff-top, someone was practising their writing, using Latin phrases and Christian symbols.

"We can't know for sure who made these marks or why, but what we can say is that seventh century Tintagel had professional scribes who were familiar with the techniques of writing manuscripts and that in itself is very exciting.

"Our ongoing research has already revealed the extent of Tintagel's buildings and the richness of the lifestyle enjoyed here.

"This latest find goes one step further to show that we have a literate, Christian community, with strong connections from Atlantic Europe to the Mediterranean."

Arthur2-1382856.png

Following the discovery of the ancient stone, experts believe the site could have acted as a main royal base, with trade links stretching as far as the Mediterranean.

National Heritage, who manages the historic site on the Cornish coast, said the Middle Age-dated inscriptions are a rare find, making the 1,300-year-old engravings of special interest

For this reason, experts believe it is increasingly likely that the area played host to the English monarchy.

The organisation also believes Tintagel was the seat of early British kings. And because of its trade links to other parts of the world, the period highlighted Cornwall's "first golden age"

Arthur3-1382858.jpg

They also think the windowsill's inscriptions would have been the handy work of someone learning to write. The stone will go on display in Tintagel from Saturday.

But, contradicting the new evidence, in April this year a British historian found evidence that the legend of King Arthur may have actually been a reality.

Adrian Grant believes the legendary leader was born around 475AD in the kingdom's capital, Barwick-in-Elmet.

His theory, a culmination of a six-year research programme, disputes the tale that Arthur was conceived at Tintagel in Cornwall.

Mr Grant's evidence could challenge academics who believe the famous King never existed.

Reactions: Benway
But, contradicting the new evidence, in April this year a British historian found evidence that the legend of King Arthur may have actually been a reality.

Adrian Grant believes the legendary leader was born around 475AD in the kingdom's capital, Barwick-in-Elmet.

His theory, a culmination of a six-year research programme, disputes the tale that Arthur was conceived at Tintagel in Cornwall.

Mr Grant's evidence could challenge academics who believe the famous King never existed.

Here's a link to that story:
King Arthur's Birthplace Found, Claims British Researcher
Mysterious Universe rather than Daily Mail because I don't like the Daily Mail. :p
And here's the awesome castle where he says Arthur lived:
Barwick-in-Elmet-7 28102017 164944.jpg

Oh dear. There doesn't seem to be much left.
Here's an artist's impression:
Barwick-in-Elmet-6 28102017 164944.jpg

Pictures are from here: http://castlefacts.info/castledetai...ck-in-Elmet-6 28102017 164944.jpg&imageType=O

For anyone interested in King Arthur, I interviewed Graham Phillips several years ago.

Reactions: Debi

KING Arthur could have been born in Cornwall, experts have suggested as they say a stone covered in ancient writing could possibly hold the key to discovering the legend's birthplace

Arthur1-copy-974910.jpg

According to legend, Tintagel Castle in north Cornwall is considered to be the birthplace of the folklore monarch, in the late fifth century.

But there has been little to no proof that the famous king was born in the south-west county.

Experts previously believed that the King and Queen Guinevere were buried in the grounds of the Abbey at Glastonbury in Somerset.

The windowsill stone, which was part of an ancient cliff ledge, features Latin inscriptions, Greek lettering and Christain symbiology, thought to date back to the seventh century AD.

Tintagel curator Win Scutt said of the find: "It's incredible to think that 1,300 years ago, on this dramatic Cornish cliff-top, someone was practising their writing, using Latin phrases and Christian symbols.

"We can't know for sure who made these marks or why, but what we can say is that seventh century Tintagel had professional scribes who were familiar with the techniques of writing manuscripts and that in itself is very exciting.

"Our ongoing research has already revealed the extent of Tintagel's buildings and the richness of the lifestyle enjoyed here.

"This latest find goes one step further to show that we have a literate, Christian community, with strong connections from Atlantic Europe to the Mediterranean."

Arthur2-1382856.png

Following the discovery of the ancient stone, experts believe the site could have acted as a main royal base, with trade links stretching as far as the Mediterranean.

National Heritage, who manages the historic site on the Cornish coast, said the Middle Age-dated inscriptions are a rare find, making the 1,300-year-old engravings of special interest

For this reason, experts believe it is increasingly likely that the area played host to the English monarchy.

The organisation also believes Tintagel was the seat of early British kings. And because of its trade links to other parts of the world, the period highlighted Cornwall's "first golden age"

Arthur3-1382858.jpg

They also think the windowsill's inscriptions would have been the handy work of someone learning to write. The stone will go on display in Tintagel from Saturday.

hmmmm....i completely believe arthur and gwen existed but not so sure about the glastonbury abbey "find". It was very imp at that time (middle ages) to show that the king had a direct link to Arthur and it behooved a monastery to "find" something that would make that connection. Thus, during the reign of Henry II the plantaganet king 1154-1189 and the amazing Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, the casket was found @ Glastonbury. P.S I think that Henry and Eleanor were the embodiment of arthur and gwen, but I also believe the first time Arthur came around was in the late 5th century. Geoffrey Ashe is a great Arthurian expert. I've been to pretty much all the Arthurian sites. Spent 3 weeks @ Tintagel and it is a magical place

Reactions: Benway
hmmmm....i completely believe arthur and gwen existed but not so sure about the glastonbury abbey "find". It was very imp at that time (middle ages) to show that the king had a direct link to Arthur and it behooved a monastery to "find" something that would make that connection. Thus, during the reign of Henry II the plantaganet king 1154-1189 and the amazing Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, the casket was found @ Glastonbury. P.S I think that Henry and Eleanor were the embodiment of arthur and gwen, but I also believe the first time Arthur came around was in the late 5th century. Geoffrey Ashe is a great Arthurian expert. I've been to pretty much all the Arthurian sites. Spent 3 weeks @ Tintagel and it is a magical place
Wow Jad. I didn’t know you were such a historian !
I only know the story.

Wow Jad. I didn’t know you were such a historian !
I only know the story.

Henry the II and Eleanor of Aquitaine are my topic of interest. England/France Plantagenet 1150ish-1200 ish . Eleanor was one of the greatest women of the middle ages. She brought in the whole troubadour/chivalry /tourament thing to the court. She went on 2 crusades. Unheard of back then was and the wife of two Kings-Think Lion in Winter with Katherine Hepburn (playing Eleanor) and Peter O Toole (playing Henry), in their later years. Richard Harris also played Henry and Richard Burton played Becket in BECKET (his best and worst buddy)-. Richard Harris also played Arthur in CAMELOT. -Coincidence?!?! If they weren't the reincarnate of Arthur and Gwen, I certainly think they were. Used to sword fight each other down the stairs while the courtiers watched and then retire to the bedroom for several days.Eleanor-Her boys-Henry-Becket, one of the great and turbulent relationships of the ages. Drama-rama! Did I mention Henry imprisoned her for 17 YEARS because she was plotting with the sons to overthrow Henry and usurp the crown and put one of the boys in his place? More drama than As the World Turns. She was the mother of Richard the Lionheart and King John (pussy) of the signing of the Magna Carter . She bore Henry 8 children,2 of which were Kings. She was regent (boss of England/France) when Henry was away, which was frequently ,so she ran the show because Henry believed, rightly so, that the people needed to see his face and that of the the Court 's and so he spent most of his time on horseback, either hunting with falcons or racing from one town to another with his entourage, which was quite a production. Henry had nearly uncontrollable energy. He always had to be moving. He had a great sense of humor.he would torture his court because he would say "OK we leave for X tomorrow at midday",but he would wake up at dawn and say "Lets go NOW" Poor courtiers....no one ever slept. He basically created the English court system. His best buddy was Archbishop Becket who was later killed by 3 of henrys guys when Henry exclaimed: "Who will rid me of this turbulent priest!" (he and Becket had a major bromance riddled with drama)His guys heard it and rode to Canterbury and murdered Becket. Henry was mortified,did penance by making a pilgrimage barefoot and in a hair shirt (eek) to CAntebury Cathedral and was whipped by the priests along the way. Had a terrible temper,( I think he was bipolar)his eyes would flash with anger and he would throw himself on the bed and bite the mattress in rage,very intelligent,spoke several languages . Very passionate,total stud and super hot. I have stayed at the abbey where they are interred:Henry,Eleanor,Richard and his longsuffering wife (Richard was gay-nothing wrong with that!)
That's off the top of my head,i think it's right. more or less. Yes, I'm a weirdo if you hadn't guessed. I think you have...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway and Lynne
Henry the II and Eleanor of Aquitaine are my topic of interest. England/France Plantagenet 1150ish-1200 ish . Eleanor was one of the greatest women of the middle ages. She brought in the whole troubadour/chivalry /tourament thing to the court. She went on 2 crusades. Unheard of back then was and the wife of two Kings-Think Lion in Winter with Katherine Hepburn (playing Eleanor) and Peter O Toole (playing Henry), in their later years. Richard Harris also played Henry and Richard Burton played Becket in BECKET (his best and worst buddy)-. Richard Harris also played Arthur in CAMELOT. -Coincidence?!?! If they weren't the reincarnate of Arthur and Gwen, I certainly think they were. Used to sword fight each other down the stairs while the courtiers watched and then retire to the bedroom for several days.Eleanor-Her boys-Henry-Becket, one of the great and turbulent relationships of the ages. Drama-rama! Did I mention Henry imprisoned her for 17 YEARS because she was plotting with the sons to overthrow Henry and usurp the crown and put one of the boys in his place? More drama than As the World Turns. She was the mother of Richard the Lionheart and King John (pussy) of the signing of the Magna Carter . She bore Henry 8 children,2 of which were Kings. She was regent (boss of England/France) when Henry was away, which was frequently ,so she ran the show because Henry believed, rightly so, that the people needed to see his face and that of the the Court 's and so he spent most of his time on horseback, either hunting with falcons or racing from one town to another with his entourage, which was quite a production. Henry had nearly uncontrollable energy. He always had to be moving. He had a great sense of humor.he would torture his court because he would say "OK we leave for X tomorrow at midday",but he would wake up at dawn and say "Lets go NOW" Poor courtiers....no one ever slept. He basically created the English court system. His best buddy was Archbishop Becket who was later killed by 3 of henrys guys when Henry exclaimed: "Who will rid me of this turbulent priest!" (he and Becket had a major bromance riddled with drama)His guys heard it and rode to Canterbury and murdered Becket. Henry was mortified,did penance by making a pilgrimage barefoot and in a hair shirt (eek) to CAntebury Cathedral and was whipped by the priests along the way. Had a terrible temper,( I think he was bipolar)his eyes would flash with anger and he would throw himself on the bed and bite the mattress in rage,very intelligent,spoke several languages . Very passionate,total stud and super hot. I have stayed at the abbey where they are interred:Henry,Eleanor,Richard and his longsuffering wife (Richard was gay-nothing wrong with that!)
That's off the top of my head,i think it's right. more or less. Yes, I'm a weirdo if you hadn't guessed. I think you have...:)
Have you ever considered you may be the reincarnation of Eleanor? You certainly have her strong character ! Perhaps this is why you resonate with this so much ?

Have you ever considered you may be the reincarnation of Eleanor? You certainly have her strong character ! Perhaps this is why you resonate with this so much ?
Honestly? I’ve been told I was their firstborn who died shortly after birth- But I don’t advertise it. No one could hold a candle to Eleanor.

Honestly? I’ve been told I was their firstborn who died shortly after birth- But I don’t advertise it. No one could hold a candle to Eleanor.
It’s fun to consider these things. Although I’m not really a believer in reincarnation. I think it may be more that we can tune into their resonance and share their memories that way. I’m open minded tho. I am not one to limit god.