Kids...Send in those Boxtops

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Have you ever redeemed commercial "chits" (cereal boxtops, bubble gum comics, trading stamps, etc) for prizes? Tell us about your experiences.
Adco1-jumbo.jpg

Ohhh, I was the kid yelling to all "Save the box tops for me!" I wanted all the freebies! lol There was always much joy when these pieces of junk arrived in the mail until I discovered how useless most of these items truly were. lol

And then there were the S&H Green Stamps mom saved, mainly for silverware and kitchen items. I licked enough stamps as a kid the glue made me nauseous after awhile. Books and books of those things!
205187885_4359712490733359_8955501903738907667_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh, I was the kid yelling to all "Safe the box tops for me!" I wanted all the freebies! lol There was always much joy when these pieces of junk arrived in the mail until I discovered how useless most of these items truly were. lol

And then there were the S&H Green Stamps mom saved, mainly for silverware and kitchen items. I licked enough stamps as a kid the glue made me nauseous after awhile. Books and books of those things!
View attachment 33280
OMG....S&H green stamps brings back memories of my childhood up to the early teens. that was when grocery stores were truly grocery stores, with maybe a very few shelves with Dickie work clothes or socks. if ypu wanted anything else or stylish you went to a department store in the city...lol...or the sears catalog.... dang, remember when flour came in a 5 gallon metal can/tin? and always had a dishcloth inside as a bonus...lol (along with the boll weevils or whatever weevil it was...lol)

OMG....S&H green stamps brings back memories of my childhood up to the early teens. that was when grocery stores were truly grocery stores, with maybe a very few shelves with Dickie work clothes or socks. if ypu wanted anything else or stylish you went to a department store in the city...lol...or the sears catalog.... dang, remember when flour came in a 5 gallon metal can/tin? and always had a dishcloth inside as a bonus...lol (along with the boll weevils or whatever weevil it was...lol)
Ohhh yes...I remember the days! You've reminded me of the days when many products had gifts inside just so you'd buy them! Laundry detergent was one that always had something inside as a gift. At one point my mom had towels from Tide. And lots of them!

Ohhh yes...I remember the days! You've reminded me of the days when many products had gifts inside just so you'd buy them! Laundry detergent was one that always had something inside as a gift. At one point my mom had towels from Tide. And lots of them!
funny how everything used to be in large sizes, then everyone jumped on the downsizing wagon for a spell, only for stores such as sams to open where you have to buy in bulk once again and everyone thinks thats the best thing ever...lol..... life truly is just a continuous circle. lol

This question was prompted after I introduced my granddaughter to my favorite childhood candy bar, the Mallo Cup. Each continues to come with a "play money" card that you can accumulate and eventually redeem for prizes.
Mallo Cup card (1).jpg
She asked about the money card, and after I explained it she wanted to see what prizes she could get. I showed her the website, and she immediately decided she wanted a Mallo Cup tshirt. I looked at what it took to get the shirt, did some quick math, and told she'd have to eat a Mallo Cup every day for eight months to get the neccessary play money needed for the shirt. She said, "I can do that, Pa."

This question was prompted after I introduced my granddaughter to my favorite childhood candy bar, the Mallo Cup. Each continues to come with a "play money" card that you can accumulate and eventually redeem for prizes.
View attachment 33281
She asked about the money card, and after I explained it she wanted to see what prizes she could get. I showed her the website, and she immediately decided she wanted a Mallo Cup tshirt. I looked at what it took to get the shirt, did some quick math, and told she'd have to eat a Mallo Cup every day for eight months to get the neccessary play money needed for the shirt. She said, "I can do that, Pa."
That a girl! Dedicated to the quest!

I remember the box tops; and how we competed for them in my family. The only prize I can remember getting was a cheap plastic ballerina about three inches high.

Reactions: Paulm
When my Dad passed away, as we were cleaning out the house we found a very real looking deed for one square inch of land in the Yukon. My older brother's name had been written in on the deed, clearly in my Dad's beautiful penmanship. My brother had no memory of it.

A bit of research turned up it was a promotional item from Quaker Oats, a sponsor of the early 50s TV series "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon." Originally you had to send in a box top to get your deed, but eventually Quaker just started putting them in the boxes of cereal. Apparently this was the most successful cereal promotion in history.

When my Dad passed away, as we were cleaning out the house we found a very real looking deed for one square inch of land in the Yukon. My older brother's name had been written in on the deed, clearly in my Dad's beautiful penmanship. My brother had no memory of it.

A bit of research turned up it was a promotional item from Quaker Oats, a sponsor of the early 50s TV series "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon." Originally you had to send in a box top to get your deed, but eventually Quaker just started putting them in the boxes of cereal. Apparently this was the most successful cereal promotion in history.

My husband is a "Squire of the land of Jack Daniels" and owns one square inch somewhere. They must have borrowed that from Quaker Oats!