It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time....

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Have you ever made a decision, either on the spur of the moment or after much deliberation, that soon thereafter you wish you hadn't made. High dollar purchase? Accepting or declining a job? Asking for or accepting a date? Ordering the bean burritos?

guilty of probably all of those and more....... gas station burritos and hotdogs are a no go, dont ask or accept a date based on just looks or hormone levels......( evil hides behind beauty...:eek:....lol...j/k...kinda....).... dont take a job just cause its offered first or convenient... dont make important decisions if beer is involved.....lol.. (or dangerous ones,) beer and trampolines arent a good match. lessons learned. experiences had, stories to tell.....hopefully its easy sailing from here on out...........

I once had what was in retrospect, an awesome job. The people for whom I worked were very nice, and the work was not hard. I had just been promoted and received a really good benefits package, when out of the blue I thought that I had found better work. So, I gave my notice. My employers took me out to lunch and threw a farewell party.

I started my new job, secretary to an Engineering and sinkhole repair outfit. From day one I realized my huge mistake. The boss was very disorganized. He was always demanding things get done right away, without enough time to prepare, and was then always sending things out overnight express. This must have cost the company a lot. He had two locations for the business and he would move the entire office staff back and forth between these offices on a whim, which meant packing up my work and carrying it to the new office.

I later learned that his father owned this outfit and had basically let him run it. I only lasted a month there.

In 1991, I agreed to Mrs Duke accompanying me on a business trip to, of all places, Waco, TX. I warned her the testing we would be doing would be going on both day and night, and therefore I would be very busy the entire week. Since she had a friend who lived there, she said that was OK since she could pal around with her while I worked.

I'll skip the details other than to say between test failures that kept me busy 15-16 hours a day and her friend not being available as much as had been anticipated, Mrs Duke spent a miserable week in July in Waco with nothing to do except hang out with a couple hundred older amateur bowlers at a very dated Holiday Inn. And make no mistake, she was not shy about telling me every evening that week just how miserable she was.

I learned a valuable lesson, and refused to take her on any further business trips I went on the rest of my career.

Duke, I don't have time to write the book this question creates for me! lol And in each of the instances over the years when I have regretted a decision, it was when I didn't listen to the little voice whispering "DON'T DO THAT!"

Duke, I don't have time to write the book this question creates for me! lol And in each of the instances over the years when I have regretted a decision, it was when I didn't listen to the little voice whispering "DON'T DO THAT!"
I will just "Ditto" Debis words above. One silly one that comes to mind is agreeing to go on a bus trip with a friend. we would go to the Longaberger place in Ohio and stop at various other shopping opportunities along the way. It was a two day adventure that taught me to hate buses.....and other bus riders. If I can't do a road trip in a car, I will pass. Long hours unable to move and roaring laughter from the back of the bus just adds to the fun. It was not for me, I regretted the decision as soon as we pulled out of the lot.

Always seems for me is when i accept a side job. I did enough side work years ago and now i am at the point i am pretty well over it. Sure, making extra money is very nice, but it always turns out to be more headache than pocket filler lol.

Another instance was when Mr. Garnet and I were considering buying our first home. He had spotted a semi rural property in FL, and we drove by to look at it. The land was nearly two acres , and had nice views from one side of the house. I felt not quite confident in choosing this property but being newbies, we decided to go for it after learning the very reasonable price.

After three years we were desperate to sell. A combination of undesirable neighbors, noise, and bad vibes drove us out.

• Sad
Reactions: Duke and RoseRed