Inside Chernobyl Reactor #4

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

on April 26, 1986, Chernobyl's reactor no. 4 exploded, contaminating vast areas of the former Soviet Union and nearby countries with radioactive fallout, and exposing over eight million people to elevated levels of radiation. The accident, considered the worst civil nuclear disaster in history, left the area surrounding the power plant uninhabitable. Recently, a group of journalists was granted access to the ruins of the reactor no. 4 control room. The footage reveals an obliterated space with broken consoles, missing equipment, and a eerie atmosphere. Since September 2 tourist have been able to request permission to visit the contaminated remains of the control room.

Reactions: Paintman
You can buy a house in the exclusion zone for a few hundred dollars which is something I'm considering.
What ? You wanna glow in the dark ? Live to the ripe old age of next Thursday?:p
images (1).jpeg

You can buy a house in the exclusion zone for a few hundred dollars which is something I'm considering.

I thought it would be interesting to research what the current actual radiation levels are.

The measured radiation level in the Chernobyl residential housing in 2009 was 0.2 microSieverts/hour (data at Radiation levels now | The Chernobyl Gallery). This equals 1.752 milliSieverts per year. It should be somewhat lower today.

This is less than the global average exposure of humans to ionizing radiation, which is about 2.4 – 3milliSieverts per year, 80% of which comes from nature. The remaining 20% results from exposure to human-made radiation sources, for example medical imaging (X-rays, CT scans etc).

Accordingly, technically it would be safe to actually live in one of those houses.

But there are complications. You would have to live in the house 24 hours a day, and always wear a dust mask.

"Dust is a potentially nasty. Ingesting radioactive particles is not something you want to make a habit of. I choose not to wear a mask. The majority of people I saw also didn’t but obviously make your own decision, it’s your health."

Radiation levels can change daily, dependent upon a number of factors including wind speeds. Just because you measured a level yesterday doesn’t mean it’ll be the same today as pockets of radiation move around. Large variations in levels can also occur within only a few metres of each other.

Also, stepping outside to elsewhere in the area is another matter: "generally the levels of radiation in Pripyat and the surrounding area, although far higher than the norm, are safe for the time you will be exposed to them (just don’t go licking stuff).

Those who work within the zone typically work 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off. The “off” period must be spent outside of the zone."

Reactions: TonyM