In the kitchen

Mrs Duke has a thing about the handles of pots/pans/skillets extending out over the plane of the stove top. Handles must not extend over the edge of the stove. As a teen, she had a friend sustain horrific scalding burns to her legs after she knocked a pot of boiling hot soup off the stove top.

Over salting is horrible. There's no saving it. The meal is doomed. I've tipped a salt pot thinking it was set to sprinkler, but it was on open pour and wrecked everything. No salvation. All is lost.
Hey Ben, if you’re not using anything with potatoes, there is one saving grace. You can get a big potato and cut two like thirds or whatever and put them into whatever you’re cooking and the potatoes soak up a lot of that salt so, it’s possible to get it back but if you’re cooking with potatoes, you’re screwed lol.

Hey Ben, if you’re not using anything with potatoes, there is one saving grace. You can get a big potato and cut two like thirds or whatever and put them into whatever you’re cooking and the potatoes soak up a lot of that salt so, it’s possible to get it back but if you’re cooking with potatoes, you’re screwed lol.
Timing! I just deleted the post you replied to in a fit of self doubt (I thought it was boring) and here you are replying. Thanks both for the advice and the confidence boost. Also, nice to meet you, as I don't think we have!

Timing! I just deleted the post you replied to in a fit of self doubt (I thought it was boring) and here you are replying. Thanks both for the advice and the confidence boost. Also, nice to meet you, as I don't think we have!
You as well….. Love Great Britain! My wife has been, but I have not, can’t wait to go one day, so much history there, love that place

You as well….. Love Great Britain! My wife has been, but I have not, can’t wait to go one day, so much history there, love that place
If you go to the UK, go ahead and order the Spotted Dick. It's a delicious cake covered in vanilla custard. The Brits love to see the reactions of Americans when it's first offered.

If you go to the UK, go ahead and order the Spotted Dick. It's a delicious cake covered in vanilla custard. The Brits love to see the reactions of Americans when it's first offered.
I'm sure it's mostly for the name. Full disclosure: I have never had spotted dick. :oops: It does sound good but I've just never been offered it. Maybe it's a regional thing? Britain, even just England is really a mass of different places all crammed together and all insisting we are English! I'm beginning to suspect two things:
1) Claiming to be English and an authority is a waste of time. Whatever you think is English most others anywhere else will disagree and will fight you in social media comments.*
2) That Peterborough is missing out on spotted dick

*'Literally everyone in Britain thinks Yorkshire Tea is the best!' - Yorkshirelord626
'How dare you tell Americans to make tea like that you wretched **** ****er . TEA POT! Bags are the work of Satan!'

'Yorkshire Tea is nice but Earl Grey would like a word...'
'Darjeeling. Mike drop ****** ******s. Did you scumbags go to ETON or something???

Last edited:
I'm sure it's mostly for the name. Full disclosure: I have never had spotted dick. :oops: It does sound good but I've just never been offered it. Maybe it's a regional thing? Britain, even just England is really a mass of different places all crammed together and all insisting we are English! I'm beginning to suspect two things:
1) Claiming to be English and an authority is a waste of time. Whatever you think is English most others anywhere else will disagree and will fight you in social media comments.*
2) That Peterborough is missing out on spotted dick

*'Literally everyone in Britain thinks Yorkshire Tea is the best!' - Yorkshirelord626
'How dare you tell Americans to make tea like that you wretched **** ****er . TEA POT! Bags are the work of Satan!'

'Yorkshire Tea is nice but Earl Grey would like a word...'
'Darjeeling. Mike drop ****** ******s. Did you scumbags go to ETON or something???
Next thing we know, you're going to tell us you've never had bubble & squeak. ;)

Mrs Duke has a thing about the handles of pots/pans/skillets extending out over the plane of the stove top. Handles must not extend over the edge of the stove. As a teen, she had a friend sustain horrific scalding burns to her legs after she knocked a pot of boiling hot soup off the stove top.
I'm the same way; my grandmother had horrible burns down her chest from grabbing a protruding pan handle when she was a child.

You are never boring, Ben! Nice to hear from you anytime!