In Praise of Wakes

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Going to a wake is always unpleasant. For one thing the departed, once embalmed, always looks like a stranger. Thus, the corkboard display of photos of the deceased as a baby, and as a teen, can only emphasize that he is now utterly a fossil. To make things worse, a wake usually comes in one of two ill-fitting sizes. The first is the intimate service. This wake makes you stay longer than you had wanted, because you feel obligated to shore up the forlorn little flock guarding the casket. In the other, plus-sized wake the mourners line up down the hall and outside to the street. In this case, it may take an hour to reach the “viewing.” When you finally arrive the family will say something like, “Thanks for coming” because they are too tired to say anything else. In either case, a wake means huddling over a casket with other mourners who mutter things like “He looks so natural, doesn’t she?” Such inane comments are preordained. A wake drags people who feel little connection with each other into an hour of clumsy intercourse. Therefore, the bereaved need clichés like “He’s at peace now” in order to create a simulacrum of conviviality while they awkwardly look over a corpse, who may not even have liked them while he was alive.

Thus, as a social gathering, the wake is numb business right from the start. So, on your way to the mortuary, while you contemplate the inevitable musty prayers and strained faces, a paralyzing torpor will descend upon your mind. Your feelings will suddenly congeal, and you will think, “Oh, God! It’s all so unnatural. Why don’t people just cremate?” Then you’ll think, “I’ll just send flowers. Flowers and a card. Money to a fund for sick children. That should be enough.”

However, the call of the traditional wake, followed by a Mass and burial, is stronger than you know. Because, despite your neurotic apprehensions, you don’t send flowers. You go. To the wake. You almost always decide to go to the wake. Why?

You go because you know there’s this thing that happens once you get there.
In Praise of Wakes
What say ye ?
The linked article has some funny stuff . Ex:The regimen begins when you force yourself out of your car donning your rarely worn black suit. It continues as you scrape across the parking lot in your too-tight black shoes and willfully pretend not to notice that the funeral parlor’s exterior looks exactly like the portico of a nouveau riche country club. Secondly, you must choose not to react to the irony that at any mortuary door, at any hour, you will find a brace of chain smokers busily preparing themselves for their own caskets. Finally, you must steadfastly un-observe the number of men dressed in what looks like golf attire, or the number of young women dressed in black cocktail dresses.

Which is why I have left orders for NO wake, no funeral. I'm to be cremated and my ashes placed where I have requested, with NO VIEWING! Sheesh....I hate wakes/funerals and all they involve.

Reactions: Mokey
Which is why I have left orders for NO wake, no funeral. I'm to be cremated and my ashes placed where I have requested, with NO VIEWING! Sheesh....I hate wakes/funerals and all they involve.
Same.

Reactions: Debi
Staring at the empty dead shell of something/one does nothing but earn those funeral homes lots of money!

Reactions: Mokey
I don't know folks, funerals are not for the dead but for the living. It is a ritual that has been observed for millenia, even by neanderthals. A funeral allows us to come to terms with the fact that a loved one is no longer with us. It is also an occasion for demonstrating to the family of the deceased that he/she was a loved and respected member of a community,workplace,culture etc. Rituals are important to us, and mark the milestones in ones' life as we progress from birth to death. A funeral is like anything else when viewed in the context of humans getting together. It's what we make of it. I don't wear a black suit kept only for such occasions, I don't own a pair of tight fitting brogues that I skip across Funeral Home parking lots with. Nor do I regard the smokers on the sidewalk with contempt. I go to funerals dressed as well as I can to show my respect to the family, and to let the family know that I am there for them should they need me, and I try to convey a strong and positive demeanour so that the family make take what strength I have to offer.

I don't know folks, funerals are not for the dead but for the living. It is a ritual that has been observed for millenia, even by neanderthals. A funeral allows us to come to terms with the fact that a loved one is no longer with us. It is also an occasion for demonstrating to the family of the deceased that he/she was a loved and respected member of a community,workplace,culture etc. Rituals are important to us, and mark the milestones in ones' life as we progress from birth to death. A funeral is like anything else when viewed in the context of humans getting together. It's what we make of it. I don't wear a black suit kept only for such occasions, I don't own a pair of tight fitting brogues that I skip across Funeral Home parking lots with. Nor do I regard the smokers on the sidewalk with contempt. I go to funerals dressed as well as I can to show my respect to the family, and to let the family know that I am there for them should they need me, and I try to convey a strong and positive demeanour so that the family make take what strength I have to offer.
As a woman who does much ritual in her life as part of her religion, I understand what you are saying and the theory of it. I also like that you offer your strength to the family and show respect. However, this can also be done without having a body lying in state, without people having the "party" in the background and without the huge cost attached.

My family has been instructed to share memories of me with each other. If any one should call to pass along their respects, a memory can be shared. No formalities.

Then watch out as I come back by the board and haunt it for a bit.

As a woman who does much ritual in her life as part of her religion, I understand what you are saying and the theory of it. I also like that you offer your strength to the family and show respect. However, this can also be done without having a body lying in state, without people having the "party" in the background and without the huge cost attached.

My family has been instructed to share memories of me with each other. If any one should call to pass along their respects, a memory can be shared. No formalities.

Then watch out as I come back by the board and haunt it for a bit.
Lol on the last line Debs. I say, to each his own. If this is how you wish to be cashiered out, more power to you. I myself will probably opt for something no-Frillsy. But, live and let live. Funerals are sacred rituals, and should be respected as such.

Lol on the last line Debs. I say, to each his own. If this is how you wish to be cashiered out, more power to you. I myself will probably opt for something no-Frillsy. But, live and let live. Funerals are sacred rituals, and should be respected as such.
I agree to each his own. It just won't be my way. :) Of course, I pretty much have never done anything in what can be considered a "normal" manner. lol

"At a funeral wake and burial, if you are lucky, a grey cloud will burn away in the peeking sun, the crow will cry, the cemetery bark will weep with chilly rain, and then suddenly, there will be this sensation which I can only describe as being like carbonation with a thin dose of caffeine. It’s the feeling of being not just alive, but peopled—in your innards populated—by the lives of others who are both beyond life and still in it:"
The writer said what I could never adequately explain about my experiences as a whole. A connection of not just this days wake and the deceased and those who surround him, but a culmination of all of those connected to the funerals before. Like a cosmic spider web of inter connected life. Well that's my takeaway.
I've been to so many funerals that I'm like those little old people who ... well you've seen 'em there.:) Maybe I like the old ways. Reverence, ritual, comforting and being comforted. The honor guard firing a volley, taps on a real bugle, flag draped coffin, being presented my Father and Godfathers flags. Perch and top shelf Scotch after the funeral - Yup, I'm one of those old people.;)

Reactions: Mokey and Debi
"At a funeral wake and burial, if you are lucky, a grey cloud will burn away in the peeking sun, the crow will cry, the cemetery bark will weep with chilly rain, and then suddenly, there will be this sensation which I can only describe as being like carbonation with a thin dose of caffeine. It’s the feeling of being not just alive, but peopled—in your innards populated—by the lives of others who are both beyond life and still in it:"
The writer said what I could never adequately explain about my experiences as a whole. A connection of not just this days wake and the deceased and those who surround him, but a culmination of all of those connected to the funerals before. Like a cosmic spider web of inter connected life. Well that's my takeaway.
I've been to so many funerals that I'm like those little old people who ... well you've seen 'em there.:) Maybe I like the old ways. Reverence, ritual, comforting and being comforted. The honor guard firing a volley, taps on a real bugle, flag draped coffin, being presented my Father and Godfathers flags. Perch and top shelf Scotch after the funeral - Yup, I'm one of those old people.;)
Everyone deserves at least one person in the world to cry for their loss....everyone.

Perhaps for me, the thing is I feel that connection you describe pretty much daily, Paint. I feel connected to all around me. And perhaps when I attend a funereal, I feel too much. There is often much pain, and as a sensitive, I leave the event with too much and my senses overloaded. I honor all who need that connection and that ritual.

But I will shed tears for those lost in my solitary way, and send my energy up and out to those who need support.