Human mini-brains in rats

Good luck with that. Science doesn't seem to listen anyway. Look at the China episode with the cloned children. Totally against the law and the guy did it anyway.

Right, ethics start at home. :mad:

Reactions: Debi
Related to this is the issue of human cloning and lab-grown human brains:

Neurosurgeon Michael Egnor has argued at Mind Matters News (at Three reasons why humans won’t be cloned), on the basis of his commitment to “Thomistic dualism,” that human cloning is impossible. Presumably, the same reasoning would apply to lab-grown human brains.

“I believe that human reproductive cloning will never work,” he writes, “because the human intellect and will are immaterial and cannot be cloned.” He argues that the successful cloning of a human being would falsify his view.

Although he says that there may be biological reasons that prevent human cloning efforts from succeeding, his argument depends on what he takes to be the metaphysical and theological implications of his view.

As he puts it, the reasons are (mainly):

1. Biological: "Reproductive cloning of non-human animals has become relatively routine and it works quite well. Reproductive cloning of human beings has been an abject failure, despite what are undoubtedly herculean efforts by some (probably many) labs (Note: is this claim of failure really true? What about the Chinese experiments?). From a biological standpoint, there appears to be something radically different about cloning non-human animals and cloning humans."

2. The reasons for this may be at least in part metaphysical: "In the Aristotelian/Thomist view to which I subscribe, the animal soul has only material powers—i.e., the powers arise from and are caused by matter. The human soul has the material powers of the animal soul but also has immaterial powers of intellect and will. These powers do not arise from nor are they caused by matter (note: this seems to be the case since abstract thought seems to definitely be immaterial). Thus, from a metaphysical perspective, it should not be possible to copy (i.e. manufacture) a human soul by cloning, which is a wholly material process."

Egnor doesn't seem to consider the possibility that an immaterial human soul could possibly choose to inhabit such a clone, or (or vastly more unlikely, a lab-grown human brain).

Reactions: ozentity and Benway
What a horrible idea. Cloning is a diff ethical question. I can see the purpose for cloning in some instances ( not humans). I think bring back species on the brink of extinction may be a ethical use. Where they get their spirit from is in gods hands in my opinion.

The mixing of brains is unethical in my opinion. The mixing of consciousness is bound to take place. It’s a horror movie for sure.

What a horrible idea. Cloning is a diff ethical question. I can see the purpose for cloning in some instances ( not humans). I think bring back species on the brink of extinction may be a ethical use. Where they get their spirit from is in gods hands in my opinion.

The mixing of brains is unethical in my opinion. The mixing of consciousness is bound to take place. It’s a horror movie for sure.
Anyone remember the 80s Cronenburg movie with Jeff Goldblum?
Brundlefly! :eek:

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
The human soul has the material powers of the animal soul but also has immaterial powers of intellect and will. These powers do not arise from nor are they caused by matter (note: this seems to be the case since abstract thought seems to definitely be immaterial). Thus, from a metaphysical perspective, it should not be possible to copy (i.e. manufacture) a human soul by cloning, which is a wholly material process."

David, that’s my concern...what would a material powered, animal soul carrying human clone be like without the immaterial soul? Scary Frankenstein monster like zombie?

Reactions: Lynne