How Paranormal Investigators Can Make Situations Worse

I see I'm not the only one who uses quotes when talking about "ghost hunters" or "paranormal investigators". If they weren't dressing up as ghostbusters on a Friday night, they'd be in the woods, dressed as Hobbits on a Saturday afternoon. It's not science. They find any random piece of equipment that's already known to give anomalous readings from time to time, declare those readings to be the result of ghosts, and then walk around pretending to be scientists. They make completely unfounded statements like "Ghosts give off electromagnetic fields" just to justify waving around a cheap piece of equipment that's guarateed to give them at least one "ghost" per hour. That's simply not how science is done. You don't get to just invent a property of something just so you can go looking for it. "My batteries died - therefore: ghost"
It's a lot easier to find what you're looking for, when you get to be the one arbitrarily deciding what is and isn't a sign that you're getting closer to the thing you're looking for.
You know when your shower head spits air randomly? That's it measuring my awesomness. It can be detected from very far away.

Here is a good explanation from Dave Schrader

Reactions: Debi
I see I'm not the only one who uses quotes when talking about "ghost hunters" or "paranormal investigators".
I didn't see this until now. I'd like to clear up what was misconstrued. I am, believe, and personally know many legitimate investigators and workers of all types in the paranormal field.

My quotes were used only to accentuate that there are television shows that do have people go in, invited, to homes and other places and can most definitely stir up activity. The programs that do not provide follow up care or help... now there is my issue.
Thanks.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
My quotes were used only to accentuate that there are television shows that do have people go in, invited, to homes and other places and can most definitely stir up activity. The programs that do not provide follow up care or help... now there is my issue.
Thanks.
and the T.V. shows that make ppl think, "hey, go get a recorder and start talking to dead ppl." without showing or teaching how to first properly open and then how to close those doorways back....or how to protect oneself from said spirits.......next thing you know ya got ppl telling you all about their findings but then get mad when you tell them not to play around with or how to do it right....and then of course 6 months down the road they are begging for help to get rid of something that has attached itself to them.....

Reactions: ozentity and Mokey
The paranormal is not really something that can be measured by science because it is not repeatable and mostly random. I think people trying things and having an interest is ok as long as they do no harm. There are events that happen that are not explainable by the science we now have. I think this is what brings us all tog here. As for ghost hunters I think each case is as unique as the individual. I would not criticize an entire group of people for what we see on a tv show.
I know there are genuine people who dedicate their lives to help victims of paranormal pests,there's just a lot more that think they know it all ,when in fact they are just messing with it.The problem is who to trust.Most people who need help couldn't tell the difference and end up amplifying the problem.

Reactions: Paulm and Mokey
I know there are genuine people who dedicate their lives to help victims of paranormal pests,there's just a lot more that think they know it all ,when in fact they are just messing with it.The problem is who to trust.Most people who need help couldn't tell the difference and end up amplifying the problem.

There just isn't any correct way to know what or where to start. Also, even if the choices are good, it can take multiple tries, multiple people involved, and may still yield nil in the end.