Home or Movie Theater?

I prefer watching at home. The only times I've been to the theater in the past 12-15 years has been to take my kids to see a movie, which comes out to about 8 or 9 times in their entire lives.

Now as for streaming, I'm going to sound like some kind of movie addict as I have quite a few. When streaming services first came available I thought they were a huge leap forward in home entertainment, but soon realized the film industry was not fully ready in terms of film contract rules. So someone can be subscribed to every service and still not be able to watch certain movies or TV shows due to licensing issues. For example, the TV show The Wonder Years used a lot of music by bands such as The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. So it can't be streamed unless an agreement is made between the streaming service, the TV studio who owns the rights to the show and the various music studios who own the rights to the music. Another one is the original Cocoon, the movie about aliens visiting a retirement home and making the residents young again. Unless you have an old VHS copy laying around it's almost impossible to watch that movie ever again.

So to help combat license issues I cast a wide streaming service net. However I'm also a bit on the frugal side so I do so for as cheap as I can. The only services I pay full price for is Netflix and Amazon Prime. My internet is through Xfinity and it's cheaper to bundle it with cable and phone so I get the Xfinity on demand. I can use my Xfinity login to get Peacock streaming service for free. My wife is a teacher and can get a discount for Discovery +, which we bundled with Hulu, ESPN and Disney +. Then there are free streaming services such as Crackle, Tubi and Pluto TV. It sounds like a lot but we don't watch all of them all the time. It's more like "Hey, we should watch this movie" and odds are pretty good that at least one of these services will have it. To make things more crazy I also have a VPN. So I can sign into Netflix from different countries which have different license agreements and therefore very different movies catalogs.

I stopped going to movie theaters about 10 years ago because I just didn't like the newer films. Now I only watch older movies either shown on TV or from DVDs or downloads.

We don't got to theaters for all the same reasons others have mentioned, but I'll add one more. With the very rare exception, movie theaters prohibit the carry of licensed, lawful concealed handguns. No thanks.

Reactions: Stevedog and Debi
I just don't like crowded spaces. I used to have trouble just going into Walmart much less a movie theater. Too many emotions, too loud, too everything!

I just don't like crowded spaces. I used to have trouble just going into Walmart much less a movie theater. Too many emotions, too loud, too everything!
That is another good point! I don't like being crowded. I remember when the movie "Titanic" came out. I found that tickets were selling so fast that you had to reserve them, so I called to reserve two for myself and my daughter. When we got there, the usher took us all the way down the aisle until he got to where there was space for two wheelchairs. He apologized about this being the only two seats left, but we were quite pleased, because there was so much space around us.

Reactions: Debi
I wanted to attend a midnight premiere of The Dark Knight so we did.
I'll never do that again! In my mind, there would have been fewer people... in reality... WTF!

I wanted to attend a midnight premiere of The Dark Knight so we did.
I'll never do that again! In my mind, there would have been fewer people... in reality... WTF!
I bet that was packed like sardines in a can!

It was. And nothing like I imagined or hoped for... LMAO
But we still had good seats. Got out of there around 3 am if I'm not mistaken.

Though nowhere near as packed as the few times I've attended a broadway musical at TPAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
It was just as packed at the 7:00pm showing of Les Miserables on Christmas Day.
The Santa scene was hilarious considering we all just spent Christmas with loved ones... lol

It was just as packed at the 7:00pm showing of Les Miserables on Christmas Day.
The Santa scene was hilarious considering we all just spent Christmas with loved ones... lol
If I'm gonna watch a movie, which is also a rare thing for me, I want to be comfy, feet up, bra off and popcorn clean up available by the dogs. lol

Reactions: Duke