Growing human organs in animals in Japan

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Japan to lift ban on growing human organs in animals

A Japanese government-commissioned expert panel has greenlighted controversial scientific experiments to grow human organs inside the bodies of animals as early as this fall.

Under the auspices of the Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry, the panel produced a report on research involving the development of human organs in the bodies of pigs and other animals. In the report, the panel concluded it would allow researchers to implant an animal embryo (a fertilized egg) containing human cells into an animal’s womb and have the animal give birth.

One method being considered for growing human organs inside animal bodies involves injecting human induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells into an animal embryo and then returning the embryo to an animal’s womb to be birthed. The embryos are genetically modified to prevent specific organs from being created.

Japan’s current guidelines prohibit transplanting such an embryo into an animal’s womb. The ministry plans to revise them.

The panel concluded such research could lead to discovering the underlying causes of diseases, securing organs to be used for transplants, and developing new treatments. Such research is already permitted in the U.S. and the U.K.

However, the panel in the same report decided not to allow research that could produce a creature ambiguous enough to blur the line between humans and other animals, crossbreeding of animals born as a result of the method, and fertilization using human germ cells.

It also called for ethics committees of the government, universities and research institutions to examine the content of the research before deciding whether to conduct such studies.

A team led by University of Tokyo professor Hiromitsu Nakauchi has said it will carry out research to create a human pancreas inside a pig if the ban on the growth of human organs in animals is lifted.

It’s about time. We’ve been doing this to mice since the 50’s. Just picture a lab full of mice with ears and other appendages on their backs. It’s a gory sight.

I have mixed feelings about this. I guess if the animal is not harmed and they just grow a body part that is removed it would be ok.

I have mixed feelings about this. I guess if the animal is not harmed and they just grow a body part that is removed it would be ok.
Unfortunately the animal has to be killed before it gets removed. As the part is a large portion of the animal, removing a good fraction of the animals overall mass would kill it. Or if it lived it would be cruel to make it live out the rest of its life.

For some reason scientists never bothered to create a method of doing this without killing. I suppose the rat’s life isn’t important enough.

I suppose the rat’s life isn’t important enough.

well...there is an entire industry who builds things just to exterminate them daily..(and continues to try to build a better one...haha.).
and no one complains,
if you bring rats rights public, you'll bring about the complete downfall of
rattrap.jpg

imagine all these ppl out of a job, itll be chaos, I tell ya....lol...just kidding.

but at least this research is for a good cause,... I guess.

Reactions: Lynne and Charleh
well...there is an entire industry who builds things just to exterminate them daily..(and continues to try to build a better one...haha.).
and no one complains,
if you bring rats rights public, you'll bring about the complete downfall of
View attachment 13105

imagine all these ppl out of a job, itll be chaos, I tell ya....lol...just kidding.

but at least this research is for a good cause,... I guess.
But there’s a difference between a rat in the wild and a rat in my house. Ones gotta die one I should respect from a distance unless I’m hungry

Reactions: Lynne
Unfortunately the animal has to be killed before it gets removed. As the part is a large portion of the animal, removing a good fraction of the animals overall mass would kill it. Or if it lived it would be cruel to make it live out the rest of its life.

For some reason scientists never bothered to create a method of doing this without killing. I suppose the rat’s life isn’t important enough.
Oh I thought it was grown in the womb of the pig and then delivered ?

Oh I thought it was grown in the womb of the pig and then delivered ?
It has to grow on a living animal. Then the animal gets harvested when the organ is ready.

research to create a human pancreas inside a pig if the ban on the growth of human organs in animals is lifted.
I have very, very mixed feelings on this for many reasons. One reason brings me hope...a pancreas could make my grandson's life "normal" again and save him from a life of T1D. (Type 1 Diabetes.)

On the other hand, I can see this tech expanding to things that are scary...like chimeras. Or even humans grown to harvest body parts down the line.

I have very, very mixed feelings on this for many reasons. One reason brings me hope...a pancreas could make my grandson's life "normal" again and save him from a life of T1D. (Type 1 Diabetes.)

On the other hand, I can see this tech expanding to things that are scary...like chimeras. Or even humans grown to harvest body parts down the line.
I can understand harvesting organs from a pig that could be compatible with a person. Because pigs already get slaughtered on a massive scale, so we may as well use their organs if we can.

But I was more concerned with us using rats for the sole purpose of growing an ear for someone like in this video

The mouse isn’t genetically engineered. I might have implied that earlier so I apologize for that. But the mouse does die in this process.

But we have 3D printing technology that can make new body parts like ears now, so I don’t see why we still have to use mice.

Reactions: Debi