Golden Gate Bridge Gets Suicide Net

I think nearly everyone would have known someone who have ended their lives. I think people intent on this will just find another way.

This article is from 2018, is the net in place now? I think There is a built-in urge to tempt fate in humans, looking over a drop off ignites the urge to jump even if a person is not suicidal. This net is a good idea, and I am glad they approved it. Jumping only takes a second and evades any type of circumstantial intervention like a phone call or any similar distraction that might stop the decision to take one's life.

Good points, Lynne and Oz. There is a definite pull when looking over a great height. And I am sure people who are determined to end it all will find another way, thankfully just not off that bridge. I had a roommate who succeeded in suicide, and I will never forget it. I am glad they put up the net too; I noticed that the article was old, and haven't been able to find out more about it.

The GG Bridge allows foot traffic. It takes about :30 to walk across. The other SF Bay bridges don't allow it, as far as I know. The SF-Oakland Bay Bridge doesn't for sure. At least, it never did when I lived there. I've driven that one many times and there is no public walkway except for workers or emergencies. There are some other bridges in the area as well that I'm not so familiar with (SF bay is big).

Correction: I see now that it is possible to walk or bicycle a portion of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge since 2013 but not the whole thing, evidently. There is a small island in the middle and you can walk between there and one end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Selectric
Sadly now that it is there, probably be an up-tick in stunt-driven idiots to contend with. I can see the TikTok videos now :confused: I agree people who are suicidal will find another method. It is a tragic circumstance that needs to be addressed and putting a net around a bridge is only a bandaid to a larger worldwide problem. I also agree with you Garnet about the negative energy around any place that has seen tragedy.