GMOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
Monsanto has been, for years, genetically modifying virtually everything we grow for food in this country, to the point that it's nearly impossible to avoid consuming something that has been tampered with. What's your opinion? Do you think "no big deal", or does it bother you that no real studies have been conducted re: long term effects on people who consume modified foods? What steps, if any, do you take to avoid foods that have been modified?

Cherios just announced they are bringing back a non-GMO version. Yay for that! I think here in the US we need to continue to demand non-GMO until the PTB understand there is a market and demand for it! The fact the General Mills actually is doing this is amazing. More to say later....

OK, made it back. (It's currently -40 here! Brrr!) Anyway, I always make my own bread and guess what? It's GMO flour now that I look it up and research. I've always baked bread, cookies, etc., to avoid additives and I now see I'm up against GMO sugar, cornstarch, flour. I've also raised my own chickens up to this year. Called my friend at the feed store and guess what? GMO corn in the feed plus antibiotics. The only thing I think is OK in my pantry is the non-hybrid vegs I grow and can. Without labeling, I don't see how anyone can avoid the stuff.
As for the testing of GMO's, I've heard that Monsanto stopped all their tests at the 90 day mark, but effects don't show up until around day 150. It's all about the money. So what if they kill a few million people? (I bet they're not eating this stuff!)

Don't even get me started on Monsanto. They are the devil. Rats fed genetically modified food had their lives shortened and had kidney and liver failure. We are being used as human ginea pigs with all this GM crap. In Europe, they are not allowed to sell GM food. It's only here where cash is king and the Almighty Dollar is most people's god, that this kind of behavior is allowed. Ninety percent of all corn products come from GM corn. Same with Soy beans. That's why I stopped eating tofu.

Organic food is more expensive, but I am trying to buy more and more organic items in my groceries. I try not to feed my pets food unless it is organic. For years I feed them the regular stuff, but now that they are older and heave compromised health, I get them good food. I even cook for them.

Reactions: surge
Don't even get me started on Monsanto. They are the devil. Rats fed genetically modified food had their lives shortened and had kidney and liver failure. We are being used as human ginea pigs with all this GM crap. In Europe, they are not allowed to sell GM food. It's only here where cash is king and the Almighty Dollar is most people's god, that this kind of behavior is allowed. Ninety percent of all corn products come from GM corn. Same with Soy beans. That's why I stopped eating tofu.

Organic food is more expensive, but I am trying to buy more and more organic items in my groceries. I try not to feed my pets food unless it is organic. For years I feed them the regular stuff, but now that they are older and heave compromised health, I get them good food. I even cook for them.
I also do a lot of cooking for the dogs. Sometimes I need a quick food fix for them, tho. Do you know if the Blue Buffalo food is from GMO and/or also if you've heard anything bad about it?

Cherios just announced they are bringing back a non-GMO version.
I saw that the other day, and it was the inspiration for today's topic. I don't normally eat breakfast cereals, but I will buy the GMO free Cheerios, and express my desire for more similar products to General Mills.

OK, made it back. (It's currently -40 here! Brrr!) Anyway, I always make my own bread and guess what? It's GMO flour now that I look it up and research. I've always baked bread, cookies, etc., to avoid additives and I now see I'm up against GMO sugar, cornstarch, flour. I've also raised my own chickens up to this year. Called my friend at the feed store and guess what? GMO corn in the feed plus antibiotics. The only thing I think is OK in my pantry is the non-hybrid vegs I grow and can. Without labeling, I don't see how anyone can avoid the stuff.
As for the testing of GMO's, I've heard that Monsanto stopped all their tests at the 90 day mark, but effects don't show up until around day 150. It's all about the money. So what if they kill a few million people? (I bet they're not eating this stuff!)

When I really started looking at GMOs, I was shocked at how difficult it is to buy things that haven't been modified. I used to think it was mostly ingredients found in processed foods, but like you discovered, it's flour, sugar and many other things that we use to make things from scratch. Even tomatoes, now. Labeling is desperately needed, but every time an initiative goes on a state ballot, Monsanto pours massive amounts of money into that state to deceive the public. So far they have been successful in defeating all measures.

Monsanto is the perfect example of how corrupt our government is in DC. Money buys a lot of politicians, and the masses who vote just keep sending the same crooks back because they don't pay attention to what's going on.

Look for a movie called The World According to Monsanto. It's a documentary, and can be found online. I watched it on YouTube, so it's probably still there.

I saw that the other day, and it was the inspiration for today's topic. I don't normally eat breakfast cereals, but I will buy the GMO free Cheerios, and express my desire for more similar products to General Mills.

When I really started looking at GMOs, I was shocked at how difficult it is to buy things that haven't been modified. I used to think it was mostly ingredients found in processed foods, but like you discovered, it's flour, sugar and many other things that we use to make things from scratch. Even tomatoes, now. Labeling is desperately needed, but every time an initiative goes on a state ballot, Monsanto pours massive amounts of money into that state to deceive the public. So far they have been successful in defeating all measures.

Monsanto is the perfect example of how corrupt our government is in DC. Money buys a lot of politicians, and the masses who vote just keep sending the same crooks back because they don't pay attention to what's going on.

Look for a movie called The World According to Monsanto. It's a documentary, and can be found online. I watched it on YouTube, so it's probably still there.
Thanks for the documentary info. I will look for it and watch it tomorrow. I don't normally do cereal either, because I know it's GMO, but I will buy the new Cheerios just to boost them on! I have a son who'll eat anything not nailed down.

Reactions: Naked Apple
Status
Not open for further replies.