Ghost Bomber Spotted

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
There is only one airworthy Lancaster in all of Europe, that which belongs to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire. The distance from the Chatsworth Estate to Coningsby is only about 80 miles, well within the range the aircraft might be flown on a post-maintenace, functional check flight (FCF). It's also worth noting the BBMF flew their Lancaster on 15 August for scheduled events. It's entirely possible the a/c could have flown a FCF a few days after the scheduled flight of 15 Aug. That would be very easy to determine with a call/email to the BBMF.

WitchAndShaman

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
There you go again....sucking the mystery out of it with rational explanations that can be confirmed. ;)
Glad it wasn’t me this time typing smack at Duke. He has a way of sucking all of the aero outta my aerospace fun too.

• Haha
Reactions: Lynne and Debi
OP
Debi

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Glad it wasn’t me this time typing smack at Duke. He has a way of sucking all of the aero outta my aerospace fun too.
Actually, I may tease him but he's a valuable asset with his knowledge base.
We're all looking for the truth, so being able to verify something as a true unknown is important. There's so much out there that is false evidence, I get excited when I find something truly unexplainable. ;)

Reactions: Lynne

Duke

Staff
Reaction score
There you go again....sucking the mystery out of it with rational explanations that can be confirmed. ;)
Intent was to eliminate the only real world possibility of seeing a Lancaster on that date at that location. I'm surprised the young woman who wrote the article didn't make a five minute phone call to find out if the aircraft had flown on 18 Aug. Would have given more credibility to the paranormal nature of the story had she done so.

Reactions: Debi
OP
Debi

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Intent was to eliminate the only real world possibility of seeing a Lancaster on that date at that location. I'm surprised the young woman who wrote the article didn't make a five minute phone call to find out if the aircraft had flown on 18 Aug. Would have given more credibility to the paranormal nature of the story had she done so.
You just keep doing what you do here, my friend. Exactly the right thing.

Reactions: garnetsilver

Duke

Staff
Reaction score
And the answer is:

Other than both aircraft being large and having four propeller driven engines, there is little similarity between a Lancaster and a C-130. Besides the obvious physical differences, the sound of the two aircraft is totally different. Turboprop and piston engines sound nothing alike. Hard to believe anyone with even basic knowledge of aircraft could confuse one of these for the other.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi

Lynne

Art Bell fan
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Actually, I may tease him but he's a valuable asset with his knowledge base.
We're all looking for the truth, so being able to verify something as a true unknown is important. There's so much out there that is false evidence, I get excited when I find something truly unexplainable. ;)
I second this. I’ve learned a lot of debunking since Duke came on board.
Wands you too have become a valuable asset around here. You add so much to our mystical conversations. You have taught me to believe in Magic again.

Reactions: Debi