Getting the news...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
In my "work" for the forum, I scan hundreds of news articles, memes and comics daily.

The question today is:
Back in the day it was basically local news (newspaper/TV/radio), national news magazines (Time/Newsweek/Economist), and TV network news. Now we have almost unlimited news sources. Where and how do you get your news these days? Do you read a whole article or do you just scan the headline and/or first few paragraphs? Do you prefer shorter, on point articles to longer ones?

(Remember, this is not a forum to talk partisan politics and how different sources align themselves. Looking only for how and where you find your news.)

Reactions: garnetsilver
I usually scan the headlines on Politico, Mother Jones, and my local online news website. If something sounds interesting I will read the entire article. If my stress meter starts to climb, I don't visit any of the websites for a few days.

I usually scan the headlines on Politico, Mother Jones, and my local online news website. If something sounds interesting I will read the entire article. If my stress meter starts to climb, I don't visit any of the websites for a few days.
That is a good approach, Garnet. I'm interested in if people read a whole story or just scan headlines these days. I post a lot of stories here and wonder how many actually READ the stories? Because sometimes the headlines are not a nearly a complete picture...especially MY titles...lol

Reactions: garnetsilver
Another thing...I go digging for news that is outside of the everyday blah blah stuff now covered. Like...is there flooding somewhere? Did a tornado hit a town? Did a volcano erupt somewhere? And weird news to share here, of course...lol

NPR during my commutes for world and national news. Local TV station website for local news. I don't watch "talking head" news on TV or online at all, no video clips or video podcasts at all.

Maybe that will change when I actually retire, in the meantime, just not a lot of time or interest in things I can't change.

I still get a daily local paper, but mostly for the obituaries. I'll listen to news on a radio station if I happen to be driving when it comes on. Even morning I read the news on the BBC website because they cover the world better than any other news source. If I see a story that particular interests me, I then find a local news source in the nation involved. I also read any number of specialized news sites of various topics.....military, aviation, college football, firearms, etc.

My go to site is "Early Bird." It used to be distributed only to senior decision makers within the DoD, but now it's available to anyone. It's a daily roundup of military and defense news stories from around the globe put out by Military Times and Defense News.