Science Galaxy Graveyard

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015...-be-overflowing-with-dark-matter/?intcmp=hpff

coma-galaxy-cluster.jpg

A vast cluster of dead galaxies roughly 300 million light-years from Earth may hold as much as 100 times more dark matter than visible matter, researchers say.

This discovery sheds light on how dark matter can shape the evolution of galaxies, scientists added.

Scientists analyzed 47 galaxies that fell into the Coma Cluster, one of the largest structures in the universe. Inside this cluster, thousands of galaxies are bound together by gravity in a space just 20 million light-years wide. (For comparison, the Milky Way is about 100,000 light-years wide.) [Poll: Will Dark Matter Ever Be Explained?]

Although these 47 galaxies are about as large as the Milky Way, they surprisingly contain only 1 percent as many stars as our home galaxy — a discovery made last year by astronomers in the United States, Canada and Japan using the Dragonfly Telephoto Array in New Mexico. This array of eight connected Canon telephoto lenses helped to detect extremely faint objects that conventional telescope surveys miss.

SEE MORE AT SITE

Oh my Lord, the comments below that article. They hurt my head. :(

LOL I didn't read them but now I'm gonna have to! :D