From a personal standpoint -

Lone Wolf

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
What does it mean to you when you're thinking about a loved one, living or deceased and you say, hear a song that they loved sometime afterwards? I've had this happen to me frequently as of late. Thoughts?

Do you mean that you hear the song at the same time that you are thinking of the loved one?

What does it mean to you when you're thinking about a loved one, living or deceased and you say, hear a song that they loved sometime afterwards? I've had this happen to me frequently as of late. Thoughts?
It happens to me from time to time. It tells me that your loved one is around.

I think that love is the energetic connection to each other. The synchronicity of the universe keeps us plugged in to each other with subtle clues.

I have had this happen to me too.

It is the result of explicit memory (also referred to as declarative memory) linked with an association.

Research suggests that there are a number of factors that influences the release of explicit memories, including stress levels and emotional states. Explicit memories:
  • Can be encoded unconsciously and tied to emotions (like the feelings we have for a loved one, or lost family member)
  • May be drawn into awareness through associations (like hearing a particular song, or something being said, after thinking about a particular person)
When you are thinking about a particular person consciously, it can associate with explicit memories subconsciously. Those explicit memories can then be drawn forward when triggered by hearing something associated with a memory of that person.

Chances are, the song, or that something being said by someone, would have occurred regardless, but we would not have made an association and, generally, would not even have noticed it. It is the association through our triggered explicit memory that makes us consciously take note and makes us think, "Hmmm......that was weird......!"

I think that love is the energetic connection to each other. The synchronicity of the universe keeps us plugged in to each other with subtle clues.
In some cases it could just be a person you were really familiar with but not in a relationship. I had a dorm friend who actually committed suicide. I remember once I was struggling to open one of those soap bottles that have a pump on top. Being left handed, I always struggled with getting it to open for the first time. She showed me how to press down and turn the pump counter clockwise.

So years later, after her death, I bought a bottle of that same soap. I was struggling with the top when I clearly heard her voice instructing me in how to open it. I nearly dropped the entire bottle of soap on the floor.

Reactions: Lone Wolf