Frankenpig....reviving the brain after death

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Scientists Restore Some Function In The Brains Of Dead Pigs

The brains of dead pigs have been somewhat revived by scientists hours after the animals were killed in a slaughterhouse.

The Yale University research team is careful to say that none of the brains regained the kind of organized electrical activity associated with consciousness or awareness. Still, the experiment described Wednesday in the journal Nature showed that a surprising amount of cellular function was either preserved or restored.

The implications of this study have staggered ethicists, as they contemplate how this research should move forward and how it fits into the current understanding of what separates the living from the dead.

"It was mind-blowing," says Nita Farahany, who studies the ethics of emerging technologies at Duke Law School. "My initial reaction was pretty shocked. It's a groundbreaking discovery, but it also really fundamentally changes a lot of what the existing beliefs are in neuroscience about the irreversible loss of brain function once there is deprivation of oxygen to the brain."

The brain is extremely sensitive to a lack of oxygen and shuts down quickly. But researchers have long known that viable cells can be removed from post-mortem brains hours after death, says Nenad Sestan, a neuroscientist at the Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, Conn.

Full story at site

Reactions: centipede
It reminds me of
Dr. Sergei Brukhonenko leave the dead alone animals or humans just disgusting

just when you think we are so advanced you get stories like this, this just somehow seems so medieval....."lets jumpstart this brain with an electrical current and see what happens"....lol....but I guess new things are learned from old techniques.

just when you think we are so advanced you get stories like this, this just somehow seems so medieval....."lets jumpstart this brain with an electrical current and see what happens"....lol....but I guess new things are learned from old techniques.
Ethics....time to look at ETHICS.

but of course if you had that job you could always shock ppl at parties when describing what you do for a living....." oh me, I shock pig brains and make two headed dogs for a living, how bout you?"

Reactions: ozentity
Ethics....time to look at ETHICS.
Ethics don't exist in that line of work anymore...boundries are set and then pushed to the limit, and if a breakthrough is made the boundaries are then extended little by little until its way past the point it ever should have been allowed...

Ethics don't exist in that line of work anymore...boundries are set and then pushed to the limit, and if a breakthrough is made the boundaries are then extended little by little until its way past the point it ever should have been allowed...
I've watched the boundaries moving for quite some time now and I agree. Unfortunately, some of those crossed boundaries now impact all of us. Such as the new gene edits done in China on several children, who they now can't find supposedly. So, the gene pool has now been altered.

Reactions: Paulm
Yeah they brought a dead brain back ok ONLY because of the electricity. These ppl are just plain barbaric this goes beyond science.

I'm gonna call bs on this article. Pigs are killed by first frying their brains with an electric stunner. Even if they do come to (it happens sometimes) they're practically half aware vegetables. If they said they killed them in a lab setting not a slaughterhouse i would be a little less skeptical.

Reactions: Duke