Fort Bragg fake cyber attack apology

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Fort Bragg issues apology after fake cyber attack prompts alarm, conspiracy theories

Fort Bragg officials issued an apology late Thursday, after realizing shutting off power to tens of thousands of post residents created alarm on the post and generated some rather bizarre conspiracy theories in the surrounding community.

This includes suggestions it was a terrorist attack... or a secret Army experiment that shorted out the power grid for miles.

The electricity at the world’s largest military post was shut off without warning late Wednesday as part of an exercise to see how post residents would react to a cyber attack, Army officials later explained on Facebook.

“We understand the exercise conducted caused concern for many within our community and surrounding areas... For that, we apologize,” said a statement posted late Thursday on the Fort Bragg Facebook page.

“However, we had to identify ways to keep #FortBragg mission capable,” the post said. “Department of Defense requires military installations to conduct readiness exercises on an annual basis. The intent is to determine the readiness and resiliency of the installation in a real-world scenario.”

The apology was accompanied by a photo of Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers spy movies.

Fort Bragg is spread across 163,000 acres and is home to more than 52,000 active duty service personnel, the Army says.

Post officials shut off the electricity for the entire post overnight Wednesday, including military facilities, businesses and homes.

The tens of thousands of people who live in barracks and post housing were given no warning so the Army could “replicate likely real-world reactions by everyone directly associated with the installation,” said post officials.

Residents of the post reported on Facebook that their power was out from four to 12 hours. Post officials said operations returned to normal around 4 p.m. Thursday.

Reaction to the surprise blackout ranged from ardent support to complaints the outage caused refrigerated foods to spoil in thousands of homes.

Among the conspiracy theories was a suggestion that the post had tried to open a Stargate space portal, a reference to the popular science fiction movie and TV series about space traveling scientists.

“So is it true the power outage was Fort Bragg attempting to dial the 2nd Stargate?” asked someone named Bet JL. “I’m not buying this whole it was a training exercise thing.”

Others reacted more angrily, claiming post officials “endangered the people you are supposed to protect.”

Does DOD standards recommend killing power to civilian housing?” asked Andrew Diaz in the fort’s Facebook page. “How many people on CPAP machines could have suffocated because you targeted an area normally off limits for that very reason. How many carbon monoxide and fire detection systems were knocked offline?”

“What about all the spoiled food?” asked Breanna Lynn Copfer, who says her power was out for more than 10 hours. “Renters insurance is saying Fort Bragg is responsible for reimbursement since it was a planned outage? We literally bought groceries yesterday.”

“I know (someone who) was hooked up to a CPAP and woke up gasping for air,” wrote Ryan DeRocker. “He could have died because of the ignorance and poor planning with this exercise. You guys messed up big time.”

02 concentraters, insulin needs refrigeration, those who need emergency supplies....hello? WTH?

Reactions: ParanormalMom
Agree just like when they have roaming blackouts here. Last time our power off for 4 hours! In the middle of summer! S.R.P apologized for the inconvenience, but didn't help ppl who lost food or the elders who had major problems or died.

Ft. Bragg is a high speed, grade A fort, home of spec-ops headquarters who oversee all special forces and RANGER teams as well as the 18th airborne corps. and military intelligence.... this was a bad decision on someones part. or there must be a very real threat of either cyber attack or an EMP type threat for them to involve an entire base, hospitals and civilian areas..... I would like to know more about this.

Ok after they explained it more yeah I see there point, if they do drills now people will be aware and ready if it happens for real.

Reactions: Paulm
Ok after they explained it more yeah I see there point, if they do drills now people will be aware and ready if it happens for real.
Everything there is a drill, the personnel here are pretty much all voluntary, if you are on this type base its because you want to be there,and earned your place... you eat, sleep and breathe your job, the professionalism in these teams is beyond questioning, its pure devotion and dedication to your team. Drills are a daily lifestyle, either at the team level to platoon, company or battalion, but to go basewide into the civilian level is unprecedented. To affect hospitals and public services is a sign that makes you say hmmm....and makes you wonder if a threat of this magnitude has been identified......

Everything there is a drill, the personnel here are pretty much all voluntary, if you are on this type base its because you want to be there,and earned your place... you eat, sleep and breathe your job, the professionalism in these teams is beyond questioning, its pure devotion and dedication to your team. Drills are a daily lifestyle, either at the team level to platoon, company or battalion, but to go basewide into the civilian level is unprecedented. To affect hospitals and public services is a sign that makes you say hmmm....and makes you wonder if a threat of this magnitude has been identified......

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Drill confused with attack, spurring active shooter call

Exercises have a way of going wrong. The article above details what happened with an active shoot exercise at WPAFB Medical Center last year. Someone who didn't know there was an exercise on going called the real world security police who responded as if the situation was real. One young security police officer used his M4 to shoot open a locked door in the hospital, and then things really went sideways because at that point a "shots fired" radio call went out. It was fortunate no one was injured/killed.

02 concentraters, insulin needs refrigeration, those who need emergency supplies....hello? WTH?
What would happen in a real-life scenario for that dependant on these items though?
I would hope they would have a backup generator.

What would happen in a real-life scenario for that dependant on these items though?
I would hope they would have a backup generator.
In my case I have back up tanks that will take me 24 hours. After that, I'm pretty much in trouble. For those on insulin, you already know that outcome when it runs out or goes bad. In a real life scenario like this, people will die. The issue is those same people should not have been put in jeopardy for a test run, imo.

Our local electric company has my home marked as first repair. I have stickers all over out there for this purpose. BUT, in the case of a complete take down of a large area, nothing would be running to get here and repair it anyway, most likely, if it was a CME of some sort. Cyber attack also leaves computers down where they might not have access to the list of first repairs.

People such as myself will be the first to die.