First Professional/Major Sporting Event

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
What was the first professional/major sporting event you remember attending? Who did you go with? Did that sport wind up being one you have continued to follow?

Reactions: Debi and Ragnar0711
4th grade, my school did a trip to Philly for my class going into middle school(5th-8th grade)
Phillies vs IDR ;) Awesome trip, had a great time. Unfortunately life hasn't allowed me to follow any of my sports :/ Such is life.

I think it was a Pirates game? I played football from elementary school till high school. Then Lacrosse. Never really got into any of it,but it was what you did where I grew up. Now surfing and skateboarding were my thing!
I'm currently trying to figure out if I can go watch the the Olympic surfing this summer. It's not looking good.

Fishing fresh and saltwater! I'm still new to fly fishing, but it's becoming my favorite way to fish now!
I'm surprised at the amount of collages that have fishing teams! If that would have been option when I was graduating I may have chosen a very different path in life...lol!

Went to a Phillies game at Vet's stadium when we were little kids. Have not got to see a game yet at Citizen's Bank Park yet, but kickin' it around. Went to Wrestlemania with my brother while he was on leave from the Army. I still watch Phillies game when i can, but my sister became a huge fan over the years.

fly fishing,
I have not got to try fly fishing yet. When i went to Wyoming one of the guys at the place i stayed was going to teach me (quickly) how to, but in the end, there wasn't enough time and i ended up using a spinner instead. It is something i would not learn in the few minutes i had, and if i wanted to catch fish, i used what i knew better at the time. One day perhaps lol.

I went to a Cincinnati Reds game as a 10 year old with my little league baseball team. It was "ball day" and I still have the ball I got. The Reds lost when Willie Mays hit a home run late in the game. I eventually lost interest in baseball (and pro sports in general), primarily as a result of player strikes and greed.

10 year old baseball crazy kid. Saw the Sox @ old Comiskey Park. Now i've had this discussion with a friend of mine a month ago. Seeing the park was breathtaking. Walking in you see the giant exploding scoreboard. Mammoth thing full of colorful pinwheels, fireworks, and speakers Then the greenest grass ever seen. He said it was the same feeling for him.

It's still just as fun being a 57 year old baseball crazy kid.
However, I used to listen to around 100 games per year on the radio. It's tough to do today.
FB_IMG_1712539377058.jpg
Nonetheless, my roommates are named after Hank Aaron & Shoeless Joe Jackson.
FB_IMG_1713739134971.jpg
When the little dickens wakes me up at 3am for a snack, "Say it ain't so, Joe."

I was about 7 or 8 and my Dad took me to an LA Dodgers game, we watched the game and ate Dodger Dogs. I remember how he had a little note pad with him that he used to keep score, even though there was the official scoreboard right there for everyone to see. I don't remember anything of the game, I just remember time spent with my Dad doing something he enjoyed. Even though I played little league baseball, my team won the championship and I was even given a game ball from the last championship game for how well i played; I'm not a baseball fan.. like at all.

However, when my son was 8 years old I took him to a Colorado Rockies game. It was actually his idea of a Father's Day present to me. So I took him to the game, we got hot dogs and nachos, I explained the rules of the game and a bit of the strategy. I don't remember anything of that game either, I just remember time spent with my son doing something he enjoyed.

Last edited: