Fall Food Thread!

My friend gave me some sourdough she got when she visited a friend in Idaho. I made bread with it last week, using the pumpkin pie recipe, and then adding the sourdough leavening and flour to make pumpkin bread (ha ha, really). It came out nice. Really good as toast with butter and pumpkin butter. I remember years ago everyone was passing around a different type of sourdough (that you fed with sugar and flour - the one I have now is the old fashioned type, just feed it flour), and with that one we made Herman cake every two weeks. I decided to try the pumpkin version of Herman cake with this batch. I will let you know how it works. It is rising now waiting for me to put it in the oven.

Another thing, does anyone have any receipes for jujubes? I have a jujube forest. And I have picked about a 3rd of them but they are just sitting in a paper bag waiting for me to do something with them. I have been eating them everytime I walk by the bag a grab a couple.

I did find two recipes online but they are not easy, one is for jam and I may end up doing that if I get time. But I also promised my grandson I would make prickly pear jellie this year. That will take a lot of time.

I had to look this up! Had never heard of Herman cake but looks good.
Yes, everyone had Herman in their refrigerator and had to feed it every day. By the end of the week it had doubled and you had to split it, give 1/4 to a friend (if you could find one who didn't already have Herman) and make a Herman cake with 1/2 of it. One family party we had 3 people bring a Herman cake. :p

• Love it
Reactions: Debi
Is it related to German Chocolate cake? This was my Mom's favorite.
No, it is made from sourdough starter that is called Herman, because someone thought keeping a yeast colony that you have to feed in your refrigerator needed a person name.

I baked the cake and for a first try it came out pretty good. Not the same texture as a Herman cake. I will try to perfect the recipe over the months. I think the amount of flour I added may have been off. But also it may be that the sourdough I used was not a sugar based sourdough so it will have a different texture.

My friend gave me some sourdough she got when she visited a friend in Idaho. I made bread with it last week, using the pumpkin pie recipe, and then adding the sourdough leavening and flour to make pumpkin bread (ha ha, really). It came out nice. Really good as toast with butter and pumpkin butter. I remember years ago everyone was passing around a different type of sourdough (that you fed with sugar and flour - the one I have now is the old fashioned type, just feed it flour), and with that one we made Herman cake every two weeks. I decided to try the pumpkin version of Herman cake with this batch. I will let you know how it works. It is rising now waiting for me to put it in the oven.
Sounds wonderful. I love to bake bread too. I have not tried sour dough because you need a starter and it sounds complicated.

Reactions: JahaRa
Ah, but the best Fall Food is now less than six weeks away. By the time I'm done, I'll end up looking like the turkey. And I'm not going to even want to entertain the thought of food :p

Reactions: Debi
Sounds wonderful. I love to bake bread too. I have not tried sour dough because you need a starter and it sounds complicated.
I found a recipe for starter on youtube. It is really easy as long as you can keep the area clean where you are starting it.

Reactions: 7Critter