Exploding Head Syndrome

RoseRed

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
This might not be paranormal (hope it's ok to post it here?), as science has proven it's all in our heads, but has anyone ever experienced the phenomenon called Exploding Head Syndrome? (Apologies if there's already a thread somewhere covering this topic).

For those of you who don't know, it's where you are awakened from a deep sleep by an incredibly loud noise. It can sound like a bomb going off or a gun shot, and it sounds *very* real. There's no pain and it's nothing to be concerned about but it is a very strange experience.

The first time it ever happened to me, I was a student living with two other girls. We were all asleep one night when I was woken in the early hours by a huge BANG on my bedroom door. I froze with terror as I knew neither of the girls would bang just once and as loudly as that. In the morning I asked if either of them had knocked on my door in the night and they both said they hadn't. What's more, they didn't even hear it. I chalked it up to something perhaps paranormal or maybe just a dream, and then put it out of my mind.

The second time it happened, I had just moved into a new house. Again, I was awakened in the early hours of the morning from a dead sleep by a huge BANG that sounded like a door being violently slammed shut. This time, I was sure there was someone in the house so I got up and crept out of my room very carefully and quietly. I checked the kitchen and realised very quickly that my cat was still fast asleep! I knew immediately that no one had slammed a door because if they had, my cat would be wide awake... Again, I chalked it up to possibly being something paranormal, or a really vivid dream and went back to bed.

The third time it happened, I had also just moved into a new house. I was again asleep upstairs when I heard a huge CRASH coming from downstairs. I thought someone had broken in and was throwing my furniture around. I once more crept quietly out of my room, along the landing and looked over the bannister (terrified the whole time!) fully expecting to see my bookcase overturned or the sofa up-ended. But nothing at all was out of place... Once more, I put it down to something inexplicable.

It was a few years later that I discovered Exploding Head Syndrome and realised that all those experiences could be explained. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced EHS and, if so, did you initially think it was something paranormal? When you found out, did it explain away the noises you heard? Or, do you still think they were caused by something else...?

Wow, that is really something! I have had two occasions where I was asleep and heard a very loud bang. Oddly, it seemed as if it had happened inside my head. I was afraid that something had exploded inside my brain or something. It hasn't happened since.

Wow, that is really something! I have had two occasions where I was asleep and heard a very loud bang. Oddly, it seemed as if it had happened inside my head. I was afraid that something had exploded inside my brain or something. It hasn't happened since.
Definitely sounds as if you've experienced EHS. From what I read it usually sounds like an external noise like a gunshot or bomb, but if you experienced it inside your head then it's probably the same thing. It's so weird and I don't think scientists fully understand it.

I've never had this but that would be disturbing. If medical what do they theorize this is? It sounds like a blood vessel exploding in your brain. Having had a stroke it sounds dangerous.

I've never had this but that would be disturbing. If medical what do they theorize this is? It sounds like a blood vessel exploding in your brain. Having had a stroke it sounds dangerous.
It's not dangerous at all, Oz, and there's no physical damage to the brain. They think it might be something like a nerve signal misfiring. It's absolutely nothing like a stroke and is completely pain and consequence free (in terms of physical damage). It's just a weird quirk of our brain wiring as far as they know. They don't fully understand it yet...