ET Cyber-attack possible?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvdGhyZWUtZ3JleS1hbGllbnMvODgzMjAyLTEtZW5nLVVTL1RocmVlLUdyZXktQWxpZW5zLmpwZw==

A pair of astrophysicists have published a new paper which cautions that humans may want to consider the consequences before opening any messages sent to the planet by ETs.

The intriguing thought exercise from scientists Michael Hippke and John Learned looks at various ways in which first contact may turn out to be a Trojan Horse aimed at wiping out humanity.

On a technical level, they note that a lengthy, coded missive from aliens would require computers to decipher and, in turn, this process leaves open the possibility of unleashing some kind of ET malware.

The alien computer virus might then corrupt the systems here on Earth and create chaos on the planet by taking down our power grids and other technological infrastructure.

"It is cheaper for ETI to send a malicious message to eradicate humans compared to sending battleships," the authors muse in the paper.

To that end, the astrophysicists also propose a scenario where aliens greet humanity in a peaceful fashion and include with their greeting a technological emissary in the form of AI.

With promises of curing diseases and solving the planet's problems, the temptation to 'work with' the AI may prove to be too great, leading to Earth eventually being taken over by the technology which sports an intellect vastly superior to humans.

Hippke and Learned posit that even if tremendous precautions are taken to contain the AI upon its initialization, the prospect of it eventually being released 'into the wild' is almost certain to happen eventually.

And, on a more basic level, the researchers noted that ETs might induce mass panic on the planet by simply sending a message that threatens to destroy the sun, causing civilization to meltdown in response.

Although the authors ultimately conclude that the potential benefit of reading an ET message far outweighs the risk involved, they stress that all possible outcomes from such a decision should be considered first.

Source: IB Times

It is certainly an interesting premise; but, I don’t know how really applicable it is.

Based on our present understanding, it takes 100,000s years or more for our messages to reach the alien solar systems which we think might house other intelligent life forms.

It would take a seriously exact guess by the receiving alien race to determine what level of technology we MIGHT eventually evolve to over many centuries in order to be able to craft a compatible virus to send back to us. It’s hard to know the speed at which the alien return message would travel as we can’t estimate the technology they might employ.

But in the end, it would seem to me to be a low likelihood that a compatible form of alien crafted virus would arrive to us in a timeliness and form that would even be ingested into our then current, yet evolved technologies.

It is certainly an interesting premise; but, I don’t know how really applicable it is.

Based on our present understanding, it takes 100,000s years or more for our messages to reach the alien solar systems which we think might house other intelligent life forms.

It would take a seriously exact guess by the receiving alien race to determine what level of technology we MIGHT eventually evolve to over many centuries in order to be able to craft a compatible virus to send back to us. It’s hard to know the speed at which the alien return message would travel as we can’t estimate the technology they might employ.

But in the end, it would seem to me to be a low likelihood that a compatible form of alien crafted virus would arrive to us in a timeliness and form that would even be ingested into our then current, yet evolved technologies.
Actually, radio transmissions travel at the speed of light...so a radio transmission or a burst transmission message could reach another solar system in about maybe 5 years.....now if you're thinking something like voyager or something you're right it would take many many years.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Actually, radio transmissions travel at the speed of light...so a radio transmission or a burst transmission message could reach another solar system in about maybe 5 years.....now if you're thinking something like voyager or something you're right it would take many many years.

Thank you Paul for the correction. It prompted me to double check my facts and I found that Proxima Centauri is just over four light years away.

I must have been mistakingly thinking about the time required for a virus-infected carrier pigeon to traverse that distance.

Now that I know just how fast those signals can arrive, I’ll be moving into my hardened underground bunker. I will of course immediately pull out the WiFi just in case that alien virus has already been sent. :(

Reactions: Paulm
Thank you Paul for the correction. It prompted me to double check my facts and I found that Proxima Centauri is just over four light years away.

I must have been mistakingly thinking about the time required for a virus-infected carrier pigeon to traverse that distance.

Now that I know just how fast those signals can arrive, I’ll be moving into my hardened underground bunker. I will of course immediately pull out the WiFi just in case that alien virus has already been sent. :(
I saw somewhere that we have detected our oldest radio waves at around 100 light years away or something along those lines, and that is with our current technology...if the original post were to be real (in the sense that their goals were to infect our system) then we would have to assume that alien tech would be far superior. so who knows how much further out they could detect our signals.
maybe we should stop sending signals out there for anyone to pick up.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Well I’m not too worried about this because whatever these beings are they seem to be here already. With the eye witness reports of their crafts they are way technically superior. If they wanted us dead I think they could have done it already. Either we serve some purpose or there’s something protecting us.