Essential Equipment for Investigators

GoneWestUtah

Currently Active on planet Earth
Reaction score
At the time my wife and I first began to think about conducting our own paranormal investigations, we were overwhelmed by the vast array of equipment seen being used by established teams and TV personalities. It was also clear that it is possible to spend the price of a good used car on some very specialized equipment, most of which is useful only to “ghost hunters” and building inspectors. Some devices are even custom-made-to-order one at a time, with long build times and high prices to match.

Experience is a wonderful teacher, however. We now have a large inventory of equipment but know that a few pieces of gear are used 90% of the time, what we consider to be the “essentials”. We even put one of each of these “essentials” into a separate case, which we call our “Mini Kit”. It is typically taken for location scouting trips, for quick checks and baseline readings prior to the actual investigation, and for non-paranormal-related trips, just in case something turns up that begs a quick investigation.

It consists of:

EVP recorder. Just a simple, thirty-dollar digital voice recorder with headphone jack. This is your single most important tool, period. It will return the most bang-for-the-buck.

K2 meter. This will detect EMF. Careful use can determine if the readings are due to wiring or other electronics on-site, or truly spurious signals more apt to be associated with the paranormal.

SB7 Spirit Box. Darkness is not a requirement for the SB7, you may get voices during a walk-through in daylight. Be sure to use it in conjunction with the EVP recorder or camcorder, to capture anything that could be considered paranormal. The SB7 does not have internal recording capability.

Day & Night-Vision digital camcorder. Very good high-def digital camcorders with night-vision (NV) infrared capability are now inexpensive. The on-board NV illuminators that come with these cameras are sufficient only for very small rooms and closets, so an aftermarket illuminator is also necessary, such as the popular “Ghost Light”, or the ORDRO NV illuminator. These illuminators will cost from $40 to $80, depending on model and vendor.

Throw-in a protective hard case, and a person can realistically expect to spend between $250 and $300 for just these items if purchased new, but honestly these alone are sufficient for a decent investigation. Build your equipment inventory slowly, as you gain experience and figure out what works best for you. There are other devices that do the same things as those listed, one of those may be a better fit for you personally.
Just these four items can keep a team of four busy, each member can take turns with a different device, or work in pairs.

There are some other non-specialized tools that every investigator should have, these are more easily obtained.

Flashlight. We use several different types, both LED and incandescent. We both always carry two flashlights on our persons when investigating, in case one is lost, or the batteries die.

First-aid kit. We started with a simple car-type kit and this is probably OK for most investigations. When we started finding ourselves at locations an hour or more from the nearest hospital or ER, we began carrying a full field trauma kit. Hopefully never needed!

Notebook. Naturalist Aldo Leopold wrote: “Keeping records enhances the pleasure of the search, and the chance of finding order and meaning in these events”. He was referring to the outdoor, natural world, but his words ring true for any fact-finding endeavor.

Drinking water & toilet paper.

Extra batteries for everything that takes them.

Download Audacity
(freeware program) to isolate & evaluate your EVP recordings on the computer.

There are of course many, many other gadgets and items that the paranormal investigator can call into service, but for most investigations, just these few will give you the tools you need to obtain both visual and audible evidence.

Happy Ghost Hunting!

Last edited:
At the time my wife and I first began to think about conducting our own paranormal investigations, we were overwhelmed by the vast array of equipment seen being used by established teams and TV personalities. It was also clear that it is possible to spend the price of a good used car on some very specialized equipment, most of which is useful only to “ghost hunters” and building inspectors. Some devices are even custom-made-to-order one at a time, with long build times and high prices to match.

Experience is a wonderful teacher, however. We now have a large inventory of equipment but know that a few pieces of gear are used 90% of the time, what we consider to be the “essentials”. We even put one of each of these “essentials” into a separate case, which we call our “Mini Kit”. It is typically taken for location scouting trips, for quick checks and baseline readings prior to the actual investigation, and for non-paranormal-related trips, just in case something turns up that begs a quick investigation.

It consists of:

EVP recorder. Just a simple, thirty-dollar digital voice recorder with headphone jack. This is your single most important tool, period. It will return the most bang-for-the-buck.

K2 meter. This will detect EMF. Careful use can determine if the readings are due to wiring or other electronics on-site, or truly spurious signals more apt to be associated with the paranormal.

SB7 Spirit Box. Darkness is not a requirement for the SB7, you may get voices during a walk-through in daylight. Be sure to use it in conjunction with the EVP recorder or camcorder, to capture anything that could be considered paranormal. The SB7 does not have internal recording capability.

Day & Night-Vision digital camcorder. Very good high-def digital camcorders with night-vision (NV) infrared capability are now inexpensive. The on-board NV illuminators that come with these cameras are sufficient only for very small rooms and closets, so an aftermarket illuminator is also necessary, such as the popular “Ghost Light”, or the ORDRO NV illuminator. These will cost from $40 to $80, depending on model and vendor.

Throw-in a protective hard case, and a person can realistically expect to spend between $250 and $300 for just these items if purchased new, but honestly these alone are sufficient for a decent investigation. Build your equipment inventory slowly, as you gain experience and figure out what works best for you. There are other devices that do the same things as those listed, one of those may be a better fit for you personally.
Just these four items can keep a team of four busy, each member can take turns with a different device, or work in pairs.

There are some other non-specialized tools that every investigator should have, these are more easily obtained.

Flashlight. We use several different types, both LED and incandescent. We both always carry two flashlights on our persons when investigating, in case one is lost, or the batteries die.

First-aid kit. We started with a simple car-type kit and this is probably OK for most investigations. When we started finding ourselves at locations an hour or more from the nearest hospital or ER, we began carrying a full field trauma kit. Hopefully never needed!

Notebook. Naturalist Aldo Leopold wrote: “Keeping records enhances the pleasure of the search, and the chance of finding order and meaning in these events”. He was referring to the outdoor, natural world, but his words ring true for any fact-finding endeavor.

Drinking water & toilet paper.

Extra batteries for everything that takes them.

Download Audacity
(freeware program) to isolate & evaluate your EVP recordings on the computer.

There are of course many, many other gadgets and items that the paranormal investigator can call into service, but for most investigations, just these few will give you the tools you need to obtain both visual and audible evidence.

Happy Ghost Hunting!
Nice list, GW! I don't think anyone has ever posted a list before. Good info.

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
Thanks Debi, these are what we would recommend people start out with. It's enough to do a first-class investigation and carry someone for years. It's also not a huge loss if the interest doesn't hold, though the used equipment market for this stuff is still fairly robust. I would expect to be able to get 50% to 80% back if re-selling it in good condition at the time this is written.

I've got my favorite gear, my wife has hers though we pretty much agree on most stuff.

I can expand the list if there is interest. By no means do we have everything out there, but I'm happy to list gear that we've used and consider helpful.

Nice list, GW! I don't think anyone has ever posted a list before. Good info.
I agree and was going to say the same thing. A very useful list and outline of uses. Great job!

Thanks Lynne.

From left to right: K2 meter (EMF detection), mini digital voice recorder (EVP), SB7 Spirit Box (real-time EVP).
The SB7 has a small amplified extension speaker attached to it for better fidelity.

mini kit.jpg

Reactions: Lynne
All three of the above units have alternatives although they are more expensive; whether they work any better is debatable.

For EMF detection, we also use:

TriField meter. No longer in production, the original Trifield meter was made by AlphaLab of Salt Lake City. Used examples sell today on eBay for over $300. This is an analog meter and prized by paranormal investigators since the new model is digital. A moving needle indicator can display much more nuanced activity than a three-digit digital display. We were fortunate to obtain ours before it went out of production and prices shot through the roof. A very old model is currently on eBay with a $275 asking price, as this is written.

Ghost Meter. This meter is marketed and branded specifically as being for paranormal use. This is one of my wife’s favorite EMF meters though I feel it can be a bit squirrelly. Sensitivity changes with orientation and I’m not an electrical engineer so can’t speak to the reason why.

Mel Meter. The Mel meter is simply an EMF detector combined with a digital thermometer. Some people have speculated that very localized temperature variations can indicate a paranormal presence. If you see a large, localized temperature swing in combination with an EMF spike, there is a good chance that it’s paranormal in nature. New models include an LED bar-graph in addition to the digital numeric display, as well as an extendable antennae which radiates it’s own field, rather like a REM Pod (see below).

REM Pod. This one is intended for static setups rather than being carried in the hand. The REM Pod generates it’s own electro-magnetic field. When something enters that field, lights go off on the top of the meter. Sensitivity is selectable, the greater the field interruption, the more lights go off, up to four. The new models also have a temperature monitor as well as an audible indicator tone. Setting up two or more in a corridor can help indicate a paranormal presence in motion.

EDI Plus Meter. The EDI Plus is new to our inventory and still untested in the field as of this writing. It is actually 5 sensors in one device: EMF, Temperature, Motion, Air Pressure, and Humidity. It can be used hand-held but only for EMF and humidity, motion will affect the readings for the other three parameters. It’s really intended as a passive monitor, to be left in an area for an extended period while it makes a record of changes over time. Data is saved to an SD card which is transferred to a computer for graphing with an online app. I will be reviewing this one as soon as we’ve had a chance to use it a couple of times. The Motion Detector is similar to a geophone ground-movement detector.

Last edited:
That's just the "Mini Kit".

Everything in there is a duplicate of a device in our primary investigation inventory. We have something like 15 cases (equipment), two 5-gallon buckets with lids (electrical, sound and data cords) and a huge tripod and stand bag.

That's just the "Mini Kit".

Everything in there is a duplicate of a device in our primary investigation inventory. We have something like 15 cases (equipment), two 5-gallon buckets with lids (electrical, sound and data cords) and a huge tripod and stand bag.
Wow! You are the real deal to have that type of investment. Do you have a YouTube channel ? Or show?

No Lynne, no online presence except here. Still not retired so no time for producing shows. But four years from now, who knows?
We may get a website up one of these days. I'm not a FB fan so am resisting a FB presence.

We don't do it to generate income (it's a money pit, lol), the whole thing started as something for my wife to focus on after her concussion over three years ago. It's a lifelong interest of hers that we turned into a full-blown hobby. It's been a blessing for both her and myself.

It seems like a big investment, but a heckuva lot less than what people spend on camping gear, fishing, skiing, golf, hunting- or Beanie Babies lol. For what the average family spends in one day at an amusement park, they could buy enough equipment to keep them investigating for years.