EMP Protection

Charleh

Please insert coffee
Reaction score
Since we dug right into the topic last night, I figured I look for ways to harden electronics from EMP attacks. To my surprise I could only find little tidbits on how to harden electronics. I guess a lot of what the government knows about this is still either classified or just not widely known to the public.

However, there are ways to insulate electronics in specialized storage containers called faraday cages.
Why and how to protect your gear from EMP - Survival Mom

If anyone can give some insight on hardening electronics that are not in secure storage, share it here! Even if in the future nobody drops a nuke, a coronal mass ejection is still imminent, and can do just as much damage to electrical infrastructure.

Reactions: Benway and 7Critter
Since we dug right into the topic last night, I figured I look for ways to harden electronics from EMP attacks. To my surprise I could only find little tidbits on how to harden electronics. I guess a lot of what the government knows about this is still either classified or just not widely known to the public.

However, there are ways to insulate electronics in specialized storage containers called faraday cages.
Why and how to protect your gear from EMP - Survival Mom

If anyone can give some insight on hardening electronics that are not in secure storage, share it here! Even if in the future nobody drops a nuke, a coronal mass ejection is still imminent, and can do just as much damage to electrical infrastructure.
Your microwave can serve as a Faraday cage.

Your microwave can serve as a Faraday cage.
Just tested with my iPhone and there’s still one bar (there was 3/4) and wifi was still connected. Ashleigh was able to call it. I’m sure it would work if you had just a little more sheilding.

But then again we’ve had the microwave for 3 years and it used to be my grandma’s so that might be why too :D

Reactions: Debi
Not having them plugged up is the first step, no batteries or power source what so ever.......for automobiles it is really still debatable how much they would be affected, some think that the body itself could act as a Faraday cage since the vehicle is grounded through the tires....but at the very least you could remove the battery and distributer cap on older models and the comp. Module on newer ones.....effects of an emp are still really an unknown but it could help to take extra precautions on some items, spare emergency radio and such....

Not having them plugged up is the first step, no batteries or power source what so ever.......for automobiles it is really still debatable how much they would be affected, some think that the body itself could act as a Faraday cage since the vehicle is grounded through the tires....but at the very least you could remove the battery and distributer cap on older models and the comp. Module on newer ones.....effects of an emp are still really an unknown but it could help to take extra precautions on some items, spare emergency radio and such....
All I know is a Diesel engine made before 95 has few enough electrical components in the engine that it can still operate after an EMP event. Because they work on pressure to combust, not spark plugs.

This tech is over my head.
The important thing to take away is to keep all your electrical things in an old diesel powered microwave oven because the sun may explode and they would be safe there. I'm not sure who this Faraday is, but everyone wants to put him in a cage so he's probably a criminal and worth avoiding. Don't quote me on this.

Last edited:
Don't quote me on this.
Don’t worry I won’t
4A814D62-355A-484E-9AD2-B9125C3E7915.jpeg

Reactions: Lynne and Benway