Egyptian sculpture in Scotland mystery solved?

"Previous efforts to determine the origin of these objects were fruitless, but researchers now think they were brought there by Alexander Leslie-Melville, whose title was Lord Balgonie — a young heir to Melville House who traveled to Egypt in 1856 and died one year later upon his return to the U.K."
"Balgonie may have acquired the collection on his travels, as consuls and antique dealers often sold ancient artifacts to foreigners during this period, according to the statement. After Balgonie's death, family members likely moved the objects to an outbuilding, which was later demolished, and forgot about them."

Not impossible. Maybe if I had money I could have bought an expensive Greek artifact and died and maybe 100 years later somebody goes digging at the site where my house once lay and discover my artifacts.
btw if I did buy a Greek artifact, it might have been safer than Egyptian artifacts that are said to be cursed. The story of which Lord Balgonie who died one year later after traveling to Egypt sounds extremely suspiciously caused by a curse.
Or.......he may have just been robbed and murdered once someone found out he had those artifacts.

Reactions: Lynne
"Previous efforts to determine the origin of these objects were fruitless, but researchers now think they were brought there by Alexander Leslie-Melville, whose title was Lord Balgonie — a young heir to Melville House who traveled to Egypt in 1856 and died one year later upon his return to the U.K."
"Balgonie may have acquired the collection on his travels, as consuls and antique dealers often sold ancient artifacts to foreigners during this period, according to the statement. After Balgonie's death, family members likely moved the objects to an outbuilding, which was later demolished, and forgot about them."

Not impossible. Maybe if I had money I could have bought an expensive Greek artifact and died and maybe 100 years later somebody goes digging at the site where my house once lay and discover my artifacts.
btw if I did buy a Greek artifact, it might have been safer than Egyptian artifacts that are said to be cursed. The story of which Lord Balgonie who died one year later after traveling to Egypt sounds extremely suspiciously caused by a curse.
Or.......he may have just been robbed and murdered once someone found out he had those artifacts.
Very good points Roffin. The article was still just speculating, nobody has any evidence of how they got there. I didn't even think of the curse until you mentioned it, very good point.

Reactions: Roffin