Don't say where...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Without telling me the name or State/Country, describe to me your childhood hometown!
Sights, sounds, smells, buildings, and all that is/was special about it.
What can trigger an immediate memory of the place?

Brick buildings downtown, as we were a town that had a brickyard! A lake that was created for use by that brickyard. Trains, trains and more trains. A train whistle will automatically make me think of the place! Wonderful collection of ethnic foods and the people who know how to make them. Two graveyards in town, one very old and the other "new", and both kept in beautiful condition. Church bells ringing...you could tell it was noon when the Catholic Church and Methodist Church both sounded the bells daily.

There was a "good" side of town...the East side. And a "bad" side of town, West. Although "bad" meant only the poorer side and was not known for violence. BIG 4th of July celebrations with major fireworks display, contests, cake walks, parade, watermelon eating contest, etc. And Christmas ripped right off the pages of "A Christmas Story."

Without telling me the name or State/Country, describe to me your childhood hometown!
Sights, sounds, smells, buildings, and all that is/was special about it.
What can trigger an immediate memory of the place?

N/A. I was an infant when we moved from my hometown. The next best memory I can give you is mountains, large hills, trees, beautiful fall colors, and snow and awful music from the 70’s!

N/A. I was an infant when we moved from my hometown. The next best memory I can give you is mountains, large hills, trees, beautiful fall colors, and snow and awful music from the 70’s!
Describe the town you remember from childhood if you moved before memory turned on!

I remember arriving, I remember the moving truck was an allied truck. It was orange. I remember the stairway going up to the next level of where the apartment was. I remember the sandbox in the courtyard area and swings on top of the hill and that’s about it. My memory gets better after that when we moved to the mountains.

We moved a lot when I was a kid! My father was the restless type, lol. So I will describe landmarks from the different cities. At one point we lived very near to major candy factories; one of them made Charms lozenges. We also lived near a train track and I always felt excited as the train passed by. There was a newspaper plant, which printed the major newspaper for our city. There was a famous train station in the downtown area, and a statue of Abraham Lincoln in a downtown park. I went ice skating at the rink in a park that was over two hundred acres big and always had beautiful cherry blossom trees in the spring time.

A lot of cornfields, a lot cows and pigs/associated smells, and very loud Fridays and Saturdays due to the drag strip and race track a couple miles up the road.

It was a small town on a lake with just two lanes going through it, with small houses on either side. There was an A&W and a Dairy queen. We often went to the beach and swam in the summer. There was a lot of trees and small gardens. Sad to say everything has changed today, thank God the lake is still there.