Does Coast to Coast use paid actors as "callers"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
Back in the day when Coast to Coast had an intelligent host who could think on his feet, Art would take cold calls - called unscreened calls. The topic of conversation was also intelligent as were most of the callers. These days, C2C has become an informercial circus with dimwitted Noory as the circus barker. The callers are screened 2 and 3 times before coming on air (I know someone who called in and was screened 3 times). I think Tommy screens the callers to make sure they don't ask Noory any difficult question that he can't answer. The result is that the callers have become stupider and stupider through the years and many have remarked on the lack of quality callers anymore.

Enter Premiere On Call, a service of paid actors who call into Clear Channel shows. There is an almost daily caller, Jeff from Culver City who asks really long and thoughful questions. He also sounds like he is reading his question. Then Noory will answer something that is far more intelligent than anything that regularly comes out of the mouth of that ape. Noory also sounds like he is reading from a script. Coincidence?

What say you. Is Noory taking paid actors calls?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...the-radio-show-called-Coast-to-Coast-AM/page3

There is an excellent, thorough and very enlightening Wikipedia entry on Clear Channel Communications that is a highly informative and worthwhile read that can certainly explain Clear Channel with more clarity and detail than I can here. However, the next time you listen to callers on Coast to Coast, consider this little factoid from the aforementioned Wikipedia entry, "Clear Channel, through its subsidiary, Premiere Radio Networks, auditions and hires actors to call in to talk radio shows and pose as listeners in order to provide shows, carried by Clear Channel and other broadcasters, with planned content in the form of stories and opinions." Times have surely changed at Coast to Coast since the days of Art Bell.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-242362.html

Premier Radio Networks (owned by Clear Channel) includes Rush Limbaugh, Jim Rome, Ryan Seacrest, Glenn Beck, George Noory, and Sean Hannity. They have 5000 stations and almost 200,000,000 combined listeners.

So is the "smack off" fake (not entirely *shocking* thinking about it)? Are the callers to Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity scripted propaganda? Worst off all, maybe the callers to Coast-to-Coast might not actually be crazy?

http://www.cjr.org/the_kicker/premiere_plants.php

The Kicker — February 14, 2011 12:35 PM
Premiere Plants
By Liz Cox Barrett

Well, here’s a shocker: Some of the people who phone in to talk radio shows (that caller with the pitch-perfect rant, provocative comment or burning question) may actually be hired actors reading from scripts. I’m not an angry listener, but I play one on radio!

Via Tablet Magazine:

If [the actor] passed the audition, he would be invited periodically to call in to various talk shows and recite various scenarios that made for interesting radio. He would never be identified as an actor, and his scenarios would never be identified as fabricated—which they always were.

“I was surprised that it seemed so open,” the actor told me in an interview. “There was really no pretense of covering it up.”

Curious, the actor did some snooping and learned that Premiere On Call was a service offered by Premiere Radio Networks, the largest syndication company in the United States and a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications, the entertainment and advertising giant. Premiere syndicates some of the more sterling names in radio, including Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Sean Hannity. But a great radio show depends as much on great callers as it does on great hosts: Enter Premiere On Call.

“Premiere On Call is our new custom caller service,” read the service’s website, which disappeared as this story was being reported (for a cached version of the site click here). “We supply voice talent to take/make your on-air calls, improvise your scenes or deliver your scripts. Using our simple online booking tool, specify the kind of voice you need, and we’ll get your the right person fast. Unless you request it, you won’t hear that same voice again for at least two months, ensuring the authenticity of your programming for avid listeners.”

Ensuring the authenticity of your programming… with paid, planted callers.

I have a call in to Premiere On Call, asking which of Premiere’s many radio programs have used the “custom caller service.” I’ll update if I hear back.

Wow! How VERY interesting....and that would explain soooo much! And once again synchronistic for me. Last night I was listening to a bit of Snorry's open lines and noticed (again) that a very well spoken person called in and asked Whorge's opinion on a subject. I've been noticing of late that when this happens, Whorge is very well prepared to offer a well phrased and intelligent answer. The caller just shuts up and never interrupts as he waxes eloquent....and that call will show up shortly in a promo for the show. I've caught this kind of thing several times now and these kind of questions never fail to showcase Whorge on those promos as a man of deep wisdom and understanding. I'd been wondering if Tommy was pre-planting the question or what cuz it's NOT his normal responses. And these questions are always asking Snorry's opinion on something.

This kind of thing wouldn't surprise me in the least. Steering a show with planted callers is sneaky, IMO. Oh, for the good old days of Art just picking up the phone and going with it. He had to be fast with the censor button at times, but Art could wrangle any caller, no matter how far off the wall they were! And THAT, my friends, is what made the magic.

Good digging job on this one, Nekki!

I listen to Knapp when he is on, and Syrett and Schroeder if the topic catches my interest, but it takes a really good guest to get me to listen to Snoory. And honestly, the callers are so atrocious that I usually tune them out. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was true, and frankly I expect that it is. It's been suspected for a while now that Coast was taking pre-planned if not paid calls. It's very dishonest, insulting to the audience, and shows how desperate they are to try and save a sinking ship. And that's what Coast is - a sinking ship.

well, it doesnt shock me based off what i have heard about him, truthfully, i tried listening twice and couldnt get passed all the ads...

also just read he may be losing the nyc market, and guess hes already off in Chicago....
Yeah, he's been loosing markets again. Big time. And the ads drive me crazy! I'm up off and on all night so I hear quite a bit of him, unfortunately. I stream KLBJ all night because of the line-up, even tho I'm in Indy. Hubs can't sleep without blah-blah on and Whorge fits the bill of blah blah.

And yeah! Bain for C2C! Hey, you could do weekends! What a line-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.