Do you play a musical instrument?

I've played guitar since I was 15. I grew up around musicians as my dad and uncle both played, although my dad never played guitar. He played the banjo, fiddle and mandolin. My uncle played guitar and was a Elvis Presley lookalike, and played his music while Elvis was still singing his music.

I grew up listening what is now called Bluegrass, but it hadn't been named that back when I was a kid. I love that kind of music, as I love all music, although I can only tolerate rap, generally speaking. I love blues, jazz big band, classical country, and also music from other lands like India.

But being a baby boomer, my music was rock and roll, and that is what I played. From the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix to Lynyrd Skynyrd.
I know every Skynyrd song, because I love 3 guitar bands and their music. Also played a lot of Eagles years ago, and still love to jam out on that lead on Hotel California. When my kids came along and got older they would play STP, Creed, and Nirvana, and I had to learn some of those song too, for I liked them the first time I heard em. I play by ear, as did my dad and uncle. Can't read a note of musical notation, although tabs are easy, but seldom accurate. LOL.

I played everyday up until around 09. Suddenly I lost all interest, and packed up my simple recorder and drum machine along with the guitars and have taken a long vacation. I picked up the 1960 Les Paul Jr. coincidently a couple days ago and discovered my fingers were no longer as supple and accurate. But I played for a couple hours and I think I may start playing again. Before I laid it down, I was recording some of my original material, just so I wouldn't forget it. I like harmonizing leads, good ones give me a chill.

Oh, I played in a rock and roll band back when everyone was covering CCR, Cream, Stones, that era.
Cool! We've got our own Rocker on the forum!

My DIL is/was a concert pianist before she became a full-time mom. She plays 15 different instruments and has a master's in music science. She does take a few students now but is very selective. I asked her about adapting to your needs, Dog, and she says there is a way to do that. Don't let it hold you back. Remember, even the Bible says, "Make a joyful NOISE unto the Lord," ...says nothing about being perfect or in tune!

BTW, that job sounds like it was interesting and lots of fun!

I worked for the BBC for several years doing this , every concert was recorded . Travelled over Europe and the UK , Ireland , after several years I was " burned out , " They also did a American and Canadian tour though I missed that one due to other commitments . Some of the concert halls in Europe which escaped bombing in WW2 are incredible , acoustics are near perfect and the buildings are beautiful . During rehearsals I would sit in the hall with maybe 20 other people listening as they rehearsed , sound was amazing , we also had notable soloists and depending which piece they were playing we had full choirs on stage also . Sometimes I would be in the recording studio by myself and the piano was a magnet , seems as though I just blinked my eyes and an hour had past , having way too much fun !!!

Reactions: Debi
Cool! We've got our own Rocker on the forum!

Well yeah, a product of my time I guess. A musical mystic. LOL.

I enjoy listening to the array of birds here at sunrise, and have a seat on my front porch where I have my coffee unless it is raining. I sit there and just listen with no thought clouding up, muddying up the mind. It is a meditation, and I do that when listening to some music.

Well yeah, a product of my time I guess. A musical mystic. LOL.

I enjoy listening to the array of birds here at sunrise, and have a seat on my front porch where I have my coffee unless it is raining. I sit there and just listen with no thought clouding up, muddying up the mind. It is a meditation, and I do that when listening to some music.
A musical mystic in a Trekkie T-shirt! You are one interesting fella! :)

As for sunrise....you'll have to send me a picture of that to jog my memory of such a thing. lol

My DIL is/was a concert pianist before she became a full-time mom. She plays 15 different instruments and has a master's in music science. She does take a few students now but is very selective. I asked her about adapting to your needs, Dog, and she says there is a way to do that. Don't let it hold you back. Remember, even the Bible says, "Make a joyful NOISE unto the Lord," ...says nothing about being perfect or in tune!

BTW, that job sounds like it was interesting and lots of fun!

I mostly use one finger now , when I am irritated at someone's behavior :rolleyes:

Not enough hours in the day for me to begin practicing again , 12 yrs since I last played . Have been considering buying a fretless bass , again finding the time to practice is nigh on impossible !

Last edited: