Did you....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
44104203_2401688983226486_5648869909732524032_n (Small).jpg

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD PETS!

The earliest pet I remember was Bag of Buford. We had a gargantuan orange tabby named Buford. That cat loved nothing more than being gathered up by the scruff of the neck and cuddled. I don't recall what happened to him, but I know he didn't pass from old age.

Subsequently we had dogs. Barney was a small terrier of some kind. Sanford was a Saint Bernard. Sanford could jump up and place his paws on my dad's shoulders and look him eye-to-eye. My dad is 6'2". We had a third dog, a hound, named Peanut, who I'm convinced was immortal. He moved to our house of his own volition from down the road where he'd lived for a few years. He stayed with us at least 8, until I was old enough to drive, and then he left our place and wandered back to our old neighborhood (after 5 years of living on our new farm) and adopted a family there.He was still there and playing with their kids when I went to college a couple of years later. In any case, Barney met his end when Sanford got rabies and literally bit him in half. My dad had to put Sanford down the hard way.

Let's see. I had collies named Luke and Leia. Our long-term cat at the farm was Talon. My parents adopted a pit bull named Misty before I moved out. She was notable for being convinced she was a lap dog, even though she didn't fit on anyone's lap. I had a ferret at one point that
"ran away" after pissing my dad off one day.

I know I'm missing some.

But yeah, we had pets :)

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I miss my little pal Reggie Jackson she was the original Junkyard Dog and Shadow And Spooky, and Pork Chop. Reggie and Thor were dogs.
But Hank Aaron is batting and clean up for me.:p And he gets mail addressed to him.:)

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
And he gets mail addressed to him.:)
I bet the mailman did a double take on that one...lol

I remember we had a DAWG when I was about 5. His name was Terry, and I call him a dawg because he really was not very smart. You had to be careful not to throw the ball all the way to the fence because Terry would run so hard he'd forget to put on the brakes and hit the fence head on. He did that a few times so badly tha he knocked himself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
We had lots of animals growing up in the country. Always cats and dogs. Chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits. Guina pigs, goats sheep etc. I’m sure there’s some I’m missing. I got my first horse at 18. I have a great love for pets. Right now I have a pommerianian, house cat, a horse, 2 rabbits and a barn full of refugee cats. They are breaking me. I need an extra income to keep them fed :D

Reactions: Paintman
Earliest memory was of Troy the black rabbit, next along was Rupert the golden lab joined with Sheila the mongrel and both slept on my bed at night, I loved them both.

I left home at seventeen but coming home on leave my folks had another wee mongrel dog and a cat and I had a closeness with both. I've never been able to have pets in adult life but always enjoyed being with friends pets especially Charlie the Spaniel who just goes nuts when he sees me when I visit.

I'm not gonna mention the mice, frogs, newts, rescued birds that were always a part of our family life.

We didn't stay in one place much and my Mom was in no mood for pets... Buttt... a group of us, the rag tag kid's, walked all over the city when we were very young, so no matter the address we always managed to meet up somewhere. If we could annoy which ever 'adult' was in charge on Saturday enough by NOT leaving at dawn and gone til dusk, we could often wrangle at least 15 cents and a go away. We would hit the matinee at 12th and Penn Theater for a dime and purchase penny candy with the nickle... and THEY gave away cute little baby, live, animals at intermission by calling your ticket stub number. I must have won that thing a dozen time's over a few years, which is strange because I haven't won anything since. I took home bunnies and baby chicks of all the colors of the rainbow and once a duck! My mom would get soooo mad but I always did the taking care of until inevitably they got to big to have in tiny house's in the city and off we would go, animal in tow, to the Zoo where we would release them at the pond or garden's or what ever was deemed acceptable. I also brought home a ridiculous amount of chameleons with little strings around their necks. My grandfather was a Shriner and once a year he would load all the rag tags up and off to the Shrine Circus, which is where they sold the chameleons. Of course there were june bugs, lightening bugs, and various toad's, frogs and turtles.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
We didn't stay in one place much and my Mom was in no mood for pets... Buttt... a group of us, the rag tag kid's, walked all over the city when we were very young, so no matter the address we always managed to meet up somewhere. If we could annoy which ever 'adult' was in charge on Saturday enough by NOT leaving at dawn and gone til dusk, we could often wrangle at least 15 cents and a go away. We would hit the matinee at 12th and Penn Theater for a dime and purchase penny candy with the nickle... and THEY gave away cute little baby, live, animals at intermission by calling your ticket stub number. I must have won that thing a dozen time's over a few years, which is strange because I haven't won anything since. I took home bunnies and baby chicks of all the colors of the rainbow and once a duck! My mom would get soooo mad but I always did the taking care of until inevitably they got to big to have in tiny house's in the city and off we would go, animal in tow, to the Zoo where we would release them at the pond or garden's or what ever was deemed acceptable. I also brought home a ridiculous amount of chameleons with little strings around their necks. My grandfather was a Shriner and once a year he would load all the rag tags up and off to the Shrine Circus, which is where they sold the chameleons. Of course there were june bugs, lightening bugs, and various toad's, frogs and turtles.
I remember getting camelions from the circus too!!