Dick Butkus

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Read "Dick Butkus, legendary Chicago Bears linebacker and Hall of Famer, dies at 80" on SmartNews: Dick Butkus, legendary Chicago Bears linebacker and Hall of Famer, dies at 80 (Chicago Tribune)

In his day, linebackers were seldom used in pass coverage, and would hit ball carriers going down hill. Butkus was the fiercest hitter I ever saw. I actually spoke to him a few years back at a Nebraska @ Illinois football game. He was still intimidating in his mid 70s.

George Plimpton wrote the best football book I've read, "Mad Ducks and Bears," about the insane antics of Detroit Lions Alex Karras and John Gordy. The book is hilarious. The funniest part is the story of the "Alex Karras Charity Golf Tournament." Karras hired a bunch of midgets for the tournament. A group of them got drunk, knocked on Butkus' hotel room door at like 3am, and then gang tackled Butkus when he answered the door. What I'd give to have seen that!

I miss those guys. Karras had a sense of humor, and was a decent character actor post-NFL.

RIP, Dick. Thanks for the memories!

Reactions: Selectric