Dancing Dolls

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Phantoms and Monsters: Pulse of the Paranormal

Dancing Human-Sized Dolls

“I wanted to tell my story from when I was a little girl. It was in the 1960s, between 1961 and 1966 me and my little brother we're growing up with my grandmother and Wichita Kansas. He was an albino and had scarlet fever at birth which left him mentally retarded. Our room had two twin beds and his crib was in the middle of the beds. Being an albino, he was legally blind in the daytime and he could see better at night. So he tended to stay awake all night. We had a walk in closet in our room and at night human sized toys, a toy soldier with a drum, a Raggedy Ann doll, and a teddy bear, would come out of the closet and dance around his crib. Back in those days the houses had flowered wallpaper and I remember counting the flowers on the wall paper turning away from the dolls trying to go to sleep. I don't remember them making any sound but it was just their presence that kept me awake. This one on every night for about two years until he became too hard to handle and was institutionalized. This incident is what caused me to be interested in the paranormal from a child to an adult. I am 57 now, and I believe that he manifested the dolls to keep him company. I have seen other things and people off and on during my life. It tends to run in my family. Thankfully I haven't seen anything that really scared me.

This opens a question....are some children with mental handicaps able to do more in the paranormal realm?

Wow. Ok. This brings back memories for me. Ive been lucid dreaming for years since I was a very young child. At that age the lines between dream and awake can be blurred. I used to “dream”? That my dolls would come out of the closet & try to strangle me. Not anywhere as quaint as dancing. I told myself it was just dreams. But family pets would not step foot in my room. And every time I’d have a sleepover, my guest friend would not want to sleep in my room; instead make a tent or something in the living room.

One girl woke up screaming at 2am & could not be consoled. My mother had to drive her home quite a ways away at like 3am. My other regular friend that did stay over in my room a lot would always sleep walk out to the living room & stay there. One time I went out to find her & she was standing up against our stereo unit mumbling but sound asleep. I asked her to come back to my room but she refused (still in her sleep)

Reactions: Debi
In the Far East there is widespread legend/folk belief concerning the spontaneous partial ensoulment of dolls.

Could someone translate what was going on in the video between the two women?

Oops, I didn't realize there were no subtitles on that. It's from an anthology that I watched a long time ago, apparently most of the English subtitled episodes have been taken down on Youtube.

The story as I remember, a girl drops by to visit her aunt, and remarks upon her aunt's beloved doll. But the doll is a bit more than a doll...

What seems to be going on is something roughly similar to a "Velveteen Rabbit" scenario

The Velveteen Rabbit - Wikipedia

But not quite as cheerful.

Or "Pinocchio", or "Talking Tina" from the original Twilight Zone, or the "Zuni Fetish Doll" from Richard Matheson's short story "Prey".
(Except the Zuni Doll would be more of an Anti-Pinocchio, it was "anti-life" rather than any semblance of life, a pure killer with no other purpose.)

Here is a similar story:

And a Korean film trailer:

Once long ago my little niece visited, and also her little Chinese friend. So this little Chinese girl was happily scampering around, looking at this and that, you know very much just a typical happy kid. Until she walked past a bookshelf with some old action figures on it. She did a double-take and stared at one (and only one) of the old toys. Not with a happy face, in fact with just about the most alarmed little face you ever saw.

So anyway a short while later I was in the kitchen getting some snacks for my little visitors, and that little girl walks into the kitchen, holding that one certain action figure. Holding it tight, with both hands. Restraining it, one might almost think. And she walks out on to the porch, sets that toy down at the far end of the deck, walks back into the kitchen and closes the door.

Talking to my sister later, she told me that the little girl had told my niece that the toy was "a very very bad man".

-------------------------------

(edited to add)

Talky Tina

Zuni Fetish Doll

------------------------------

Last edited: