Cutting the cord

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE CUT THE CORD FOR YOUR TV VIEWING? WHAT DO YOU USE FOR STREAMING SERVICE? OR DO YOU STILL HAVE CABLE OR SATELLITE? BIG TV OR COMPUTER SCREEN?

73358351_2592151937530127_3027011229878059008_n (Small).jpg

We cut cable long ago but got it back about 2 years ago because there was a special deal where we could bundle phone, internet and cable together with our cell phone plan and it came out cheaper than internet and cell phone separate. However we don't really watch live TV, just video on demand. We also have subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon Prime along with just signing up for Disney + and Hulu. There are also a number of free streaming sites that we use such as Crackle, Tubi and Vudu. There is also a site called Pluto which is live streaming TV along with video on demand.

However, even with all these options there are still times when we want to watch a specific movie and non of the sites have it streaming, though it's available for digital purchase, rental or is only available if we upgrade to premium cable.

We don't watch cable television at all. We do have a wide screen, and we hook up a laptop to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. plus we have a large selection Jim collected when he used to belong to some kind of online club where you could legally download movies to keep. There is so much garbage on cable television nowadays! I occasionally will pay a couple of bucks for something on YouTube or Amazon, but mostly its subscriptions that we have. I remember our first color television set when I was a kid; it was made out of what they called blond wood, and had these little tiny legs to hold it up.

I have cable but have been looking at other options, I watch a lot on tubi and YouTube and have considered cutting the cord and just doing Netflix, Y.T and the others...... Think I'll wait until after the first of the year to make a final decision, wait and see how the current uproar plays out with YouTube... They may be forcing ppl out to ultimately become just a platform for the networks, in which case its only a matter of time before these services are as much if not more than cable, cost wise....the recent YouTube choices will be interesting to see how they go and how many ppl jump ship.

I have an old portable tv with an indoor aerial and the only tv I get is free channels (like the BBC) through what's called a freeview box.

Ok, I'm a neanderthal and it took me long enough to figure out how to hook up the freeview box, I'm not ready to confuse myself with any "new" technology yet. :p

Last edited:
I have an old portable tv with an indoor aerial and the only tv I get is free channels (like the BBC) through what's called a freeview box.

Ok, I'm a neanderthal and it took me long enough to figure out how to hook up the freeview box, I'm not ready to confuse myself with any "new" technology yet. :p

I’m with you Rose, don’t want to risk the pain of streaming content. Sounds like a joke but it’s true for me because if while attempting to subscribe to Voodoo, Hulahoop, Nutfix, or another streaming service I was to accidentally lose our cable access to the Hallmark Channel, I would end up as a real life case on CourtTV.

Plus, we live in a community where cable is bundled into our home owners association fees. Since we can’t elect not to pay for cable service, we continue to use it.

Last edited:
We are still connected by via dish. Hubby is a big tv fan. There are a few shows I really like but I would rather read most nights, or listen to podcasts while I knit.