Cooking Mistakes

I don't know if you have Vegemite in the UK but it is a lot better than Marmite. Still horrible in stews imo, black salty tar is how a friend from the US described it but over here we eat it almost every day almost from birth on our toast or dummy, lol.
Ok. Ow you have to explain what Vegemite is? Lol.

Could be the time that I put borax in a dessert recipe which called for a pinch of salt. I was cooking at a friend’s house. She stepped out of the kitchen for a few minutes as I was looking for ingredients. I found the white powdery crystals in a bowl next to the stove. It didn’t taste like sugar when I dropped a pinch into my mouth so I assumed it was some form of dietary restricted salt and used it in my dessert.
;voOmg I hope you all didn’t eat it! You and Crux need a safety class lol ;bg3;bg3

Ok. Ow you have to explain what Vegemite is? Lol.
It's concentrated yeast extract, black, very strong tasting, you have to grow up on it I think and you use only a tiny scraping on toast, don't eat a spoon full, lol. It goes best with cheese on a sandwich. Not many Aussies don't eat it.

Reactions: Benway
It's concentrated yeast extract, black, very strong tasting, you have to grow up on it I think and you use only a tiny scraping on toast, don't eat a spoon full, lol. It goes best with cheese on a sandwich. Not many Aussies don't eat it.
So it is very much like Marmite! It all sounds like horror in a jar lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Benway and ozentity
I once awoke to find it was sort of smokey. I soon found the oven was on and after opening it and a lot of smoke billowing out found a tiny black disc about the size of a cookie. It was a teeny tiny incinerated pizza I put on the previous night, but my girlfriend and I somehow forgot about it and then fell asleep. Oops!

Last edited:
Not mine, but our teenage son's.

He was 15 at the time when he decided that he was going to make himself some tuna pasta. This was the very first time he had attempted to cook anything other than toast, or something that was microwavable.

He boiled the water and then added the pasta. Then the tuna and the mayo - all to the boiling water.........

Darn! The wife and I never laughed so much (I know - we are bad, unsupportive parents!).
Again, my dad would do this and quite like it. Seriously, his growing up with a chef was wasted as he has no tastebuds. Me? I have tastebuds and I got to grow up with him! I'm so grateful for my mum. Also I learned to cook really early in childhood!

Again, my dad would do this and quite like it. Seriously, his growing up with a chef was wasted as he has no tastebuds. Me? I have tastebuds and I got to grow up with him! I'm so grateful for my mum. Also I learned to cook really early in childhood!
I learned to make oatmeal when I was six years old. I always enjoyed learning how to make things, and it wasn't long before I learned how to make cookies, cakes, etc. I recall one of my mother's disasters; She was baking a rhubarb pie and forgot the sugar. She made us eat it anyway, and man was that ever gross!

• Haha
Reactions: Lynne and ozentity