Considering making a YT documentary series...

Reaction score
Good evening all, or whatever time it happens to be where you are,

I'm thinking about starting my own YouTube series. It would be mini documentaries (Maybe 10min-20min) on haunted places in my state: Maryland. There's a lot of rich history in this area with a lot of hauntings.

I have experience with video editing, specifically documentaries, but I haven't gone about collecting direct content---certainly not in haunted locations. Have any of you gone ghost hunting or documented haunted places in person?

If you have, how did you get permission to go to these haunted locations? Did you do the paranormal investigating with your own equipment, or did you have a team of paranormal investigators with you? What kind of recording equipment did you use?

I have my sites in mind already, yet I know for a fact that one of them is closed off to the public. I'll need to seek major permission there. I haven't gotten much together just yet, really, but I like the idea a whole lot.

What do you think about the idea? Is it something you'd consider watching?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a little pumped up, if that isn't obvious lol. Thanks for reading!

Good evening all, or whatever time it happens to be where you are,

I'm thinking about starting my own YouTube series. It would be mini documentaries (Maybe 10min-20min) on haunted places in my state: Maryland. There's a lot of rich history in this area with a lot of hauntings.

I have experience with video editing, specifically documentaries, but I haven't gone about collecting direct content---certainly not in haunted locations. Have any of you gone ghost hunting or documented haunted places in person?

If you have, how did you get permission to go to these haunted locations? Did you do the paranormal investigating with your own equipment, or did you have a team of paranormal investigators with you? What kind of recording equipment did you use?

I have my sites in mind already, yet I know for a fact that one of them is closed off to the public. I'll need to seek major permission there. I haven't gotten much together just yet, really, but I like the idea a whole lot.

What do you think about the idea? Is it something you'd consider watching?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a little pumped up, if that isn't obvious lol. Thanks for reading!
The very first thing I will tell you to do is to check and see if you are able to monetize those. YouTube is going through a LOT of stuff right now and many creators have lost much of their ability to monetize as anything paranormal seems to be a target over there lately!

Now, it depends on what you want to document. Are you going to simply document the location or are you going to investigate them? We have several current investigators here on site who may be able to give you tips, but if you've not done investigating before you need to get some guidance and experience under your belt. Spectre80 and massie20000 both have experience in the field. You can find some of their finds in Paranormal Experiences section.

Reactions: 7Critter
The very first thing I will tell you to do is to check and see if you are able to monetize those. YouTube is going through a LOT of stuff right now and many creators have lost much of their ability to monetize as anything paranormal seems to be a target over there lately!

Now, it depends on what you want to document. Are you going to simply document the location or are you going to investigate them? We have several current investigators here on site who may be able to give you tips, but if you've not done investigating before you need to get some guidance and experience under your belt. Spectre80 and massie20000 both have experience in the field. You can find some of their finds in Paranormal Experiences section.

I'd plan on doing it all non-profit rather than to make money. It'd be a documentary about the history of the hauntings instead of an investigation, except that one of the sites I want to go to hasn't been investigated yet. I think that it'd be great to get in there with somebody and see what can be found via an official investigation. That'd be insanely difficult to work out, though. I'm just wondering how difficult it'd be if I really wanted to go for it.

I'd plan on doing it all non-profit rather than to make money. It'd be a documentary about the history of the hauntings instead of an investigation, except that one of the sites I want to go to hasn't been investigated yet. I think that it'd be great to get in there with somebody and see what can be found via an official investigation. That'd be insanely difficult to work out, though. I'm just wondering how difficult it'd be if I really wanted to go for it.
Perhaps one of the two investigators there will stop by with some tips for you. I know massie has a site. Let me see if I can find a link for you.