Colorado Drone Mystery

Compared to military drones, yes, but a six foot drone would not be considered a hobbyist drone. Something that big would probably weight at least thirty pounds, depending how it's tricked out. That would be significantly bigger than the FAA "standard bird," which I think is (or at least was) eight pounds. Striking something that big would probably cause appreciable damage to most aircraft, with degree of damage expected to increase as the relative speed of impact increases.
In one of those reports, it was stated they had a wingspan of 6 feet across.

In one of those reports, it was stated they had a wingspan of 6 feet across.

If that's accurate, and we know witnesses are not always good at such estimates, then mid air collisions, if they occur, pose a greater threat compared to relatively inexpensive, lightly constructed hobbyist drones.

Whoever is behind it is making no effort at concealment. That's notable. Yet, no one is claiming responsibility.

If someone decided to solve this, it should be relatively easy to do. The things are hovering for three hours, which means whoever is controlling them is within the range radius of the controller. Using that as a starting point, radio detection units should be able to triangulate on the source(s). The military certainly has such capabilities on multiple platforms. FLIR equipped choppers could also help pinpoint whoever is controlling them, assuming they are out in some remote area watching their drones. Doubt any agency would commit such resources until someone determines there is a law being broken, however.

Last edited:
If someone decided to solve this, it should be relatively easy to do. The things are hovering for three hours, which means whoever is controlling them is within the range radius of the controller. Using that as a starting point, radio detection units should be able to triangulate on the source(s). The military certainly has such capabilities on multiple platforms. FLIR equipped choppers could also help pinpoint whoever is controlling them, assuming they are out in some remote area watching their drones. Doubt any agency would commit such resources until someone determines there is a law being broken, however.

I vote it's disturbing the peace! At least peace of mind of the people beneath these things.

Reactions: Paintman and Duke
Related?

Drone Schools in Colorado - Drone Training HQ

If it's that simple, the sheriff is going to look really stupid.
It's an older post, but I went and looked around the area online. They have at least 2 major drone sale shops, and several training schools in that area. Plus the AF training school for drones. (You've taught me how to research, Duke! lol)

Here's the link. I tried to do that on my tablet.

Drone Schools in Colorado - Drone Training HQ

From that site:

And while the focus of Drone Training Headquarters is the civilian drone industry, I would be remiss if I did not mention the United States Air Force Academy, located just north of Colorado Springs. The academy has shifted it focus to Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPAs) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), and the Air Force needs more pilots and technicians to operate them. Expertise gained in the Air Force might lead to a lucrative job in the private sector down the road.