Archaeologist says she’s found artifacts from famed 1540 expedition

An interesting article. It’s sad to think Coronado attacked those poor natives. It would be a horrible thing to be attached like that. They were obviously looking for valuables to return to Spain. I was hoping for pics. Maybe when the site becomes public we will see some.

I'm not convinced that Coronado didn't split up the expedition at certain points, perhaps while investigating possible routes. Seems like most researchers are wedded to the idea that it stayed in one piece and followed only one route.
An army like that traveled on it's stomach, and there is very little to eat out there that would have been obvious to white Europeans. Smaller groups on different routes, with the idea of meeting up later, would make it much easier to keep the men fed.

I'm not convinced that Coronado didn't split up the expedition at certain points, perhaps while investigating possible routes. Seems like most researchers are wedded to the idea that it stayed in one piece and followed only one route.
An army like that traveled on it's stomach, and there is very little to eat out there that would have been obvious to white Europeans. Smaller groups on different routes, with the idea of meeting up later, would make it much easier to keep the men fed.
An excellent idea GWU! I think that makes very good sense.