News And the ROBOTS will build it!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...k-and-bigs-proposed-google-hq/8682076.article

Robots to build Heatherwick and BIG's proposed Google HQ
5 May, 2015 | By Richard Waite, Keith Cooper

An army of robot-crane hybrids will be assembled to build Google’s new headquarters in California, according to the latest design papers posted by the IT giant

Mock-ups of the so-called ‘crabots’ are featured in lengthy planning documents submitted to the City of Mountain View Council in Silicon Valley and seen by AJ this week.

As revealed last July, the tech firm has commissioned Thomas Heatherwick, BIG and engineers AKTII to design its extended HQ, which will house 20,000 Google staff.

The ‘crabots’ are described in the documents as a mash-up of flexible crane and robotic machine.

Much of the internal design of Google’s new HQ will depend on the success of the robots which will roam under the gigantic canopies of the sprawling site and lift and shift pre-fabricated components, furniture and services.

OK...creeped out now! Little bitty spider like builder things!

Reactions: Shadow
I see your point. I was just talking with someone about this today. The kids come out of school and feel they should be the boss. They don't want to work their way up or earn a thing. Entitlement again. We must change the way we raise these children.

But I still don't like the robotic idea!

My wife and I have talked about today's kids.
Many come into High School and enter the real world feeling as though they are entitled to anything they desire.
These are the ones who have had everything given to them all their lives. Whatever gadget they wanted growing up, mommy or daddy got it for them, and if they wanted a different gadget the next week they got that one too. The parents never make the kids earn anything these days. You and I share the farm experience, so we knew what it was like from an early age to actually work for something... sweat equity. Most parents today can't send the kids out to gather eggs or help trim the hooves of the cows, but they can do common household chores and yard work, or wash and clean the car. They don't realize it, but the parents are doing their children a disservice by just giving them everything. If you don't work for it, you don't truly appreciate it, IMO.

My wife and I have talked about today's kids.
Many come into High School and enter the real world feeling as though they are entitled to anything they desire.
These are the ones who have had everything given to them all their lives. Whatever gadget they wanted growing up, mommy or daddy got it for them, and if they wanted a different gadget the next week they got that one too. The parents never make the kids earn anything these days. You and I share the farm experience, so we knew what it was like from an early age to actually work for something... sweat equity. Most parents today can't send the kids out to gather eggs or help trim the hooves of the cows, but they can do common household chores and yard work, or wash and clean the car. They don't realize it, but the parents are doing their children a disservice by just giving them everything. If you don't work for it, you don't truly appreciate it, IMO.

Reactions: Debi
I soooo agree with you on this. Parents need to teach the kids how to do a job and complete a job. Responsibility. We were taught that if you were given a job, you did it, did it well, and completed it without complaint. Has worked well for me my whole life!

Reactions: surge