Ancient Roman Dodecahedron

Hi Lynne,
Very hard to stack on balled feet, however enlarging your thesis on a flat plane i would introduce you to Roger Penrose famous for Penrose tiling and what this means for molecules and space, he was interested in the number five on a flat plane.
Fibonacci sequence is the same as the Golden Ratio:-
We often copy this in buildings.
It's latest application has been on a new Aston Martin Sports Car!

Reactions: Lynne
Last reply Lynne, mustn't hog forum, so pm me for further info or questions.
If interested i would read some books by Mario Livio:-
Also below is interesting:-

Ok now for the laugh of the day...I guess I have a practical farmer's mind set because my first thought was this device would make a handy tool to put up temporary fencing or ways to mark off an area. The different size holes would allow for various dowels to be inserted to connect pcs together. The little knobs would act as feet or stabilizers, I wonder if you could stack them?
My first thought was that they were a tool for working with rope or leather strips. Used for braiding or knot tying. The knobs being used to wrap the strands as you worked with it and the different sized holes being for the same purpose as you suggest. Braiding rope or leather around a shaft such as a tool handle, oar, etc.

Reactions: Archaeoastronomer
Hi Crux and Lynne,
A forum is for debate, and opinions, if i disagree it is in a friendly manner.
If dodecahedrons were used in fencing we would find many of them in archaeological digs, they are rare and found one at a time.
I have no idea what the small balls represent, however balls are not great to wind around when you go half way they would slip off.
Creating looms for clothing were known to iron age people and even ancient Egyptians:-

A bronze hollow Dodecahedron was very difficult to make and expensive:-
My take is they had metaphysical meaning but it is just an opinion.

Last edited: