Amelia Earhart Mystery Solved?

"Tony Romeo, captured a sonar image of an aircraft-shaped object resting on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean last month, he told The Wall Street Journal. Romeo believes the image to show the remains of the Lockheed 10-E Electra piloted by Earhart when she vanished without a trace."

Why does he believe that? There must be lots of aircraft-shaped objects on the bottom of the ocean.

Reactions: garnetsilver
"Tony Romeo, captured a sonar image of an aircraft-shaped object resting on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean last month, he told The Wall Street Journal. Romeo believes the image to show the remains of the Lockheed 10-E Electra piloted by Earhart when she vanished without a trace."

Why does he believe that? There must be lots of aircraft-shaped objects on the bottom of the ocean.
He's probably like a lot of Earhart researchers, he has made some assumptions to determine what he believes to be the true route of her final flight. Plotting that course, he likely calculated how far along that route the aircraft traveled before running out of fuel. Using that approximation location as a starting point, he probably then did a square search using a sonar system of some kind to locate potential wreck sites.

Nothing specific in the article where in the Pacific he believes her aircraft to be, but as you said, there could be lots of WW2 aircraft wrecks in the area. A number of Allied and Japanese aircraft had a similar appearance to the Electra, twin engines with double vertical stabilizers. Even if it's an Electra, he'd have to be able to read a registration number or find something serialized that can be compared what was known to have been on that specific aircraft to prove it was her's.

I hope he's right.

He's probably like a lot of Earhart researchers, he has made some assumptions to determine what he believes to be the true route of her final flight. Plotting that course, he likely calculated how far along that route the aircraft traveled before running out of fuel. Using that approximation location as a starting point, he probably then did a square search using a sonar system of some kind to locate potential wreck sites.

Nothing specific in the article where in the Pacific he believes her aircraft to be, but as you said, there could be lots of WW2 aircraft wrecks in the area. A number of Allied and Japanese aircraft had a similar appearance to the Electra, twin engines with double vertical stabilizers. Even if it's an Electra, he'd have to be able to read a registration number or find something serialized that can be compared what was known to have been on that specific aircraft to prove it was her's.

I hope he's right.
The image was taken 100 miles from Howland Island. That’s where she was supposed to refuel I believe, this could be very promising.

The image was taken 100 miles from Howland Island. That’s where she was supposed to refuel I believe, this could be very promising.
Where did you find the "100 miles from Howland Island?" Is that in the "Newsweek" article Selectric posted?

Reactions: Ragnar0711
I heard that on a news report tonight as well.
Ok, thanks. Wasn't doubting Lon, just didn't see it in the story posted above. When I have time, I'll look to see exact where Howland Island is, then look to see if any significant air battles were fought within a 100 mile radius of the island.

Ok, thanks. Wasn't doubting Lon, just didn't see it in the story posted above. When I have time, I'll look to see exact where Howland Island is, then look to see if any significant air battles were fought within a 100 mile radius of the island.
I just happened to see the news tonight so was chiming in...lol