Airlander 10 Airship

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Airlander 10 Gets Approval to Carry Commercial Passengers in the 2020s

he Giant Airlander 10 Airship to Welcome Commercial Passengers
The plane that looks like a giant butt gains approval to carry human passengers.

1424367588-lemv.jpg

The world’s largest aircraft is no more, at least temporarily. For years, the largest operational aircraft has been the Hybrid Air Vehicles’ (HAV) Airlander 10, a giant blimp-like contraption that can hold around 20 passengers and bares resemblance to a certain piece of human anatomy, some have said.

The company built a prototype vehicle to test the concept, but according to HAV, that prototype is being retired. That’s not the end for the concept, however, because the Airlander 10 is going to go into full production for a new prototype that will eventually serve commercial purposes.

According to the BBC, HAV is shifting toward manufacturing multiple Airlander 10s for commercial uses. HAV is able to do this now that it has secured permission from the U.K.’s Civil Aviation Authority to fly passengers in its Airlanders. The airship will be able to hold 19 passengers and ferry them to all manner of remote locations.

The Airlander 10 took to the skies over the course of six test flights, enduring a crash in 2016 when the helium-filled craft scraped a power line, causing it to slowly sink back to the ground. HAV experienced another setback in 2017 when Airlander 10 detached from its moorings mid-flight, deflating the aircraft like a balloon and injuring a woman onboard.

Speaking of the aircraft's retirement, HAV's CEO Stephen McGlennan told The Guardian:

“The prototype served its purpose as the world’s first full-sized hybrid aircraft, providing us with the data we needed to move forward from prototype to production-standard. As a result, we do not plan to fly the prototype aircraft again.”
McGlennan also noted that the company's primary focus will be "bringing the first batch of production-standard, type-certified Airlander 10 aircraft into service with customers.”

If everything goes according to plan, the company's vision will be realized when the commercial Airlander 1o is launched in the early 2020s.

Source: BBC, The Guardian

Reactions: Paintman
I still do not understand how this airship can be commercially viable. It's roughly equivalent to a small bus/truck in terms of capacity and speed, 19 passengers (or around 4000 lbs) at 85-90 mph. Maintaining it will be extremely costly, including building a huge hanger to house it and/or an apparatus to moor it. Would also require a sizable ground crew. Strikes me a fine feat of engineering with no practical application.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
I still do not understand how this airship can be commercially viable. It's roughly equivalent to a small bus/truck in terms of capacity and speed, 19 passengers (or around 4000 lbs) at 85-90 mph. Maintaining it will be extremely costly, including building a huge hanger to house it and/or an apparatus to moor it. Would also require a sizable ground crew. Strikes me a fine feat of engineering with no practical application.
I was kinda thinking the same thing......you would think the "look, we built the worlds largest aircraft, but it can only carry 20 ppl" would have been a "hmmmm" moment....lol

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
I told you guys the dirigible was going to make a comeback after this airplane fad passes.:D

Reactions: Debi and Duke