A pill for loneliness?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Scientists are working on a pill for loneliness

Excerpt:

Unlike depression and anxiety, loneliness has no recognized clinical form; there is no available diagnosis or treatment for feeling chronically isolated.She has also found relief in her work and in continuing her husband’s legacy: “If you have a sense of worth and life with a purpose, you will feel less lonely,” Stephanie says. Today, that means continuing a body of research that she and her late husband were beginning to explore: a pill for loneliness.

It’s less science fiction than it sounds. A number of clinical trials – led by Stephanie and others – are already under way, targeting the ways in which chronic loneliness changes the brain, as well as the havoc it unleashes on the nervous system. If there are pharmacological treatments for other social pains like depression and anxiety, why not loneliness?

Like depression and anxiety, loneliness is a universal part of the human experience. Unlike depression and anxiety, loneliness has no recognized clinical form; there is no available diagnosis or treatment for feeling chronically isolated.

Ellen Hendriksen, a clinical psychologist who specializes in anxiety, envisions a future in which that’s no longer the case. Currently, social anxiety is considered a disorder only when it causes enough distress or impairment to interfere with a person’s life. She can see the same distinction working for loneliness: “Maybe we’ll call this social isolation syndrome,” Hendriksen suggests, adding that she thinks many of her patients would fit the criteria. Some people tell her that she’s the only person they interact with for an extended period of time during the week.

Full story at site

Nobody listens to my mental health cure. Ugh. Get a unicorn!

e797dfdec3130a81031dcaa0b139b8bb.jpg

Ummmm, come on ppl, go out sometimes, experience the world, make some friends, get a hobby.....something....just not more pills, gee whiz...a pill for everything now.....oh well, at least they're kinda admitting that having 400,000 friends on social media still leaves ya lacking something...lol.

Last edited:
I live isolated from society mostly now in the bush,but I've never felt lonely here.I always felt lonely living and growing up in Sydney.Maybe why a lot of people are on legal and illegal drugs there,a pill might help them as much as I hate prescribed drugs.

Reactions: Mokey and Keko
I would choose loneliness 10 out of 10 times over pills to 'appear' what society considers normal. What is normal?! Don't let anybody tell you that you're not normal. People with chronic depressions or in this case loneliness have a reason. You can't erase the past or prevent the future with a pill. Find the root of the problem, not the symptoms. But who am I talking to? We gotta look at the profits of those big companies too. ..

Reactions: Debi and Mokey