A Ghost Saved Her Life

When I hear these type of accounts it makes me wonder what their existence is really like ? Why do they stay in the same place. I would think a jail would not be a place an inmate would want to be in. However they seem to stay.

When I hear these type of accounts it makes me wonder what their existence is really like ? Why do they stay in the same place. I would think a jail would not be a place an inmate would want to be in. However they seem to stay.
I think the answer to that would be complex. Maybe the ghosts of the former inmates and wardens may feel any number of things that holds them there; guilt, obligation, fearing to move on in case there is a hell.

Reactions: Paulm and ozentity
My wife and daughter both were/are TDC (Texas Department of Corrections) employed. My wife retired after 25 years. My Daughter has about 15 years there now. Prisons and jails are not what you see on TV. For a lot of people, this is probably the closest thing to a home that they have ever had.

You have a warm bed and three meals a day and most have jobs and work. For so many people they just never had a chance. Their parents were drug addicts and they were raised stealing for a living. In prison for the first time, they have the security of knowing that they will eat tomorrow, and amazingly most are safer in prison than they ever were in the hell holes that they lived in in the free world.

For many serving out or getting parole is just a sort of vacation from the only real home that they have ever had. Prisons in Texas are working prisons and even people on death row used to work. My wife works in all of the maximum-security prisons at one time or another and never had a single problem out of an inmate. She is a Dental Hygienist and if they didn't want to see her they didn't put in a request.

Most of the people in the prisons, once they come off the drugs and settle are not much of a problem. Those that are just sit in their cell and eat whatever crap they serve them. If they work they have funds and can eat pretty well. The food is fresh. we have lots of farms, pigs, and cattle and feed them pretty well.

So many of them though basically live there and get out for a few months every few years. What else can they do really. Most have no education, no skills, and are not very smart. They WANT all the things that others work for but don't want to do the work part.

Personally, I advocate for vasectomies for all violent criminals. Do we really need a bunch of kids that they will never support? We are going to have to support them for most of their life, we don't need their kids on the dole until they get old enough to go to prison. They give people life all the time but it really isn't life in a lot of cases they are out in less than 10 years. THAT was not the intention of the jury I can assure you. Often they use a life sentence as a money-saving device. they give them life and then let them out and when they catch them next time they don't have to try them. They just send them back for a while and then do it again. If we are not going to execute mindlessly evil people we need to lock them up for Fu>>ing EVER not a few years then parole them.

Most of the people in prison are there because they have a BUNCH of convictions. For a while, they TALKED about a real life sentence for habitual prisoners, but in the end, the bleeding hearts poked the idea full of holes. Criminals, even murderers, are way more important and have a lot more rights, than stupid people that just work and pay taxes. Life for a series of violent crimes needs to be a till death do you part sentence and not a ten to fifteen-year vacation.

You have a warm bed and three meals a day and most have jobs and work. For so many people they just never had a chance.
I know people like that, jail is a far better option than their home life so probably another reason their spirits are reluctant to leave. I think these spirits need to be shown the path to a much better place.

I know people like that, jail is a far better option than their home life so probably another reason their spirits are reluctant to leave. I think these spirits need to be shown the path to a much better place.
I agree! Bad enough that they were in there during their lives, but surely they can now move on to something better! Prisoners do get "institutionalized" so maybe it isn't so surprising that their spirits remain that way, too.

Where I live is the home of the Texas Prison system. We have 8 or 9 major prisons in East Texas that represent something like 20,000 inmates. That is a lot of jobs and also an amazing amount of business. Texas prisons nearly all have an industry that helps support the system. When you stand an inmate nearly everything that you see that isn't his body was made in the system. The clothes start in the fields as cotton and then that is ginned and spun and eventually made into cloth that is made into their uniforms.

There is a unit that repairs busses for the state and even school buses. A couple make the cloth and then the uniforms. There are farm and ranching units. They make the mattresses for the prisons and the people that work in and for the prison system. It makes for a rather interesting place to live. Working for the state isn't the best pay in the world BUT it is pretty good and the benefits are great. Unlike the rest of East Texas that lives and dies with the rise and fall of the oil industries, our job base and economy are very stable.

The Ghosty situation here is naturally a bit different. Prisons are not mostly like on TV They are generally peaceful places. Unlike in the free-world people that tend to be violent are easily dealt with and locked up in a cage 23/7/365. They get one hour out of their cell into an outdoors cage if they want it and the weather allows.

There is a prison cemetery that has a bit of a reputation. That is where you go if you die in prison and nobody wants your body. It is sort of sad but a lot of the inmates had pretty well used up any family that they had. I, being off the odd nature, used to go and walk around in the prison cemetery during the day if I had an open spot in the middle of my day.

Huntsville has been the home of the Texas prison system for almost 170 years. That means that a LOT of people died in prison and most of them ended up in the prison cemetery. It is a sad place. Nobody comes there to "visit" their loved ones. There are no flowers on holidays like Father's Day or Mother's Day. It is as if even in death they couldn't escape the prison system.

• Sad
Reactions: ozentity
My wife and daughter both were/are TDC (Texas Department of Corrections) employed. My wife retired after 25 years. My Daughter has about 15 years there now. Prisons and jails are not what you see on TV. For a lot of people, this is probably the closest thing to a home that they have ever had.

You have a warm bed and three meals a day and most have jobs and work. For so many people they just never had a chance. Their parents were drug addicts and they were raised stealing for a living. In prison for the first time, they have the security of knowing that they will eat tomorrow, and amazingly most are safer in prison than they ever were in the hell holes that they lived in in the free world.

For many serving out or getting parole is just a sort of vacation from the only real home that they have ever had. Prisons in Texas are working prisons and even people on death row used to work. My wife works in all of the maximum-security prisons at one time or another and never had a single problem out of an inmate. She is a Dental Hygienist and if they didn't want to see her they didn't put in a request.

Most of the people in the prisons, once they come off the drugs and settle are not much of a problem. Those that are just sit in their cell and eat whatever crap they serve them. If they work they have funds and can eat pretty well. The food is fresh. we have lots of farms, pigs, and cattle and feed them pretty well.

So many of them though basically live there and get out for a few months every few years. What else can they do really. Most have no education, no skills, and are not very smart. They WANT all the things that others work for but don't want to do the work part.

Personally, I advocate for vasectomies for all violent criminals. Do we really need a bunch of kids that they will never support? We are going to have to support them for most of their life, we don't need their kids on the dole until they get old enough to go to prison. They give people life all the time but it really isn't life in a lot of cases they are out in less than 10 years. THAT was not the intention of the jury I can assure you. Often they use a life sentence as a money-saving device. they give them life and then let them out and when they catch them next time they don't have to try them. They just send them back for a while and then do it again. If we are not going to execute mindlessly evil people we need to lock them up for Fu>>ing EVER not a few years then parole them.

Most of the people in prison are there because they have a BUNCH of convictions. For a while, they TALKED about a real life sentence for habitual prisoners, but in the end, the bleeding hearts poked the idea full of holes. Criminals, even murderers, are way more important and have a lot more rights, than stupid people that just work and pay taxes. Life for a series of violent crimes needs to be a till death do you part sentence and not a ten to fifteen-year vacation.
Dan I worked in the youth max security and neglect and abuse units in MI for close to 40 years. I won’t get into the debate about how to reform people with you, but I heartily disagree that they are places of rest and rehabilitation. Everyone wants to get out. I haven’t met one that said they’d rather stay.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
Dan I worked in the youth max security and neglect and abuse units in MI for close to 40 years. I won’t get into the debate about how to reform people with you, but I heartily disagree that they are places of rest and rehabilitation. Everyone wants to get out. I haven’t met one that said they’d rather stay.
I don't know what the system is like over there but I have a mate who did some time and he said boredom was the killer apart from the other horrors of being there.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi