8/5/15 Jon "The Morgile" vs. Josh Grindlay

I thought this was going to be a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek debate with someone from the Flat Earth Society…the people who defend this silly idea to keep their debating skills in shape, and have a good laugh in the process.

Listening to someone –actually- try to defend the flat Earth model, sincerely, and badly, felt like watching a 12-car pile-up on the freeway…tragic. Probably the worst case of confirmation bias I’ve ever heard ( http://www.michaelshermer.com/2002/09/smart-people-believe-weird-things/ ), with proponents of trickle-down economics coming in a close second. It was settled in the first few minutes when the anonymous kook tried to tell us that perspective explains ships disappearing over the horizon from the bottom up….nothing gets cropped from view on a flat plane, buddy…it just gets smaller as it gets further away. So banal. I actually had to stop listening because it was so painful to hear.

I wish we could’ve just heard Art interview Dr. Grindlay about all of the fascinating advancements in astrophysics…making him defend Planetary Science 101 to an obtuse and petulant anonymous nutter really squandered a great opportunity to learn some exciting stuff. So hoping he’ll come back for a real one-on-one interview.

And I don’t think we should be posting the guest’s contact info on the boards – I’d feel horrible if Dr. Grindlay got a bunch of zany emails from the loony section.

And I don’t think we should be posting the guest’s contact info on the boards – I’d feel horrible if Dr. Grindlay got a bunch of zany emails from the loony section.
You do have a good point, but in this particular case Dr. Grindlay's contact info is available on his Harvard bio page. A quick internet search is all it takes to find it. Still, I would join you in cautioning against it as a matter of course.

Reactions: Chronaut and Debi
My opinion is whoever decided to schedule this show... the person has no idea what they are doing.
Nobody cares to listen to some lunatic that believes the Earth is flat.

Saying the Earth is flat is like saying the sun is cold. It takes a special kind of stupid to believe it.
Bob, the first two hours were rough to listen to. I almost turned it off after the first 20 minuets of the first hour. I thought maybe it would have gotten better. It got worse in the second hour. I really think the guest that believes the earth is flat needs to be medicated. He sounded very manic and made no sense arguing with a man whose iq is far greater than his and made no points in his argument.

Hey, Debi, Roy and T dub. Hope everyone had a good time listening to the show last night. I'm just getting out of work and listening. It's always different listening to Art during the day. I love the atmosphere of listening to him at night.
Yes, for some of the topics, it is so much better to listen at night, it makes it creepier!

Oh... I don't think I told ya'll what I did earlier. I was curious about the Jon, The Morgile guy so I did a google. I found his youtube channel and looked at his About tab. There is a button that once you press you have to fill in a captcha to get able to see his email address.
So, I captcha'ed it.
Put that email address into google. Dead end.

That's my story!
Probably a good thing he went the anonymous route last night!

Oh... I don't think I told ya'll what I did earlier. I was curious about the Jon, The Morgile guy so I did a google. I found his youtube channel and looked at his About tab. There is a button that once you press you have to fill in a captcha to get able to see his email address.
So, I captcha'ed it.
Put that email address into google. Dead end.

That's my story!
He may become a crypto after last night lol.

Reactions: Hopeless