2-17-2020 Monday Live Chat Thread

I don’t remember that either of the two Woolworth stores I frequented had a counter. But I recall other places like that Debi. The one I frequented the most (because it was only two blocks from my home) was a “Kresge” - the precursor to K-Mart. That store was in a mall; I think it was probably 50,000 square feet. It had both a sit down cafeteria with counter service and a separate snack bar serving hotdogs, skimpy ham sandwiches (couple slices of ham on bun with ton of shredded lettuce), and Icees. I’m 100% certain I learned to love Boston Creme Pie from the fresh baked cakes they would serve at the cafeteria/counter. I hated to see that store close in the mid-70s. [Editing to add that I lovvvvveeeeddd those damn ham sandwiches.]
Someone else that remembers Kresge! We had one in the nearest city. It was a 5 and dime store. The long counter with stools sticks in my memory. I always got a grilled cheese and a coke. I associate it with shopping trips with my mom and grandma. I think that was something gram treated us too. A good memory to start the day.

Someone else that remembers Kresge! We had one in the nearest city. It was a 5 and dime store. The long counter with stools sticks in my memory. I always got a grilled cheese and a coke. I associate it with shopping trips with my mom and grandma. I think that was something gram treated us too. A good memory to start the day.

Great! I know it's only shopping and eating cafeteria food but it is factually some of my FONDEST childhood memories Lynne. Glad we could visit there in our memories together. I can still taste those damn ham sandwiches and the blasted desserts. I can't believe that a counter inside a retail store could have created such tasty treats; oh, they had wonderful grilled breakfasts too.

Reactions: garnetsilver
cXvNOUx_d.jpg

Reactions: Paulm
good morning everyone, its a foggy morning here, but looks like its gonna be a nice day afterall.

Reactions: Paintman