1-14-2024 Sunday Live Chat

Always thought formations like the Nazca lines were so cool. Why would anyone make something that could only be seen from way up high or for that matter, orbit. There was no flight then...or was there? ;)
There is speculation that there were flying vehicles called Vimanas and are spoken about in the Vadic texts, Hindu texts and Sanskrit.

My wife and daughter thought this was kinda of funny, until the asked me what "house" I wanted to be in. At that point they realized just how true this is as i spent about 5 minutes talking about tool brands. My daughter was said "I didn't expect you to have put that much thought into this"
What group were you in?

Reactions: Ragnar0711
Now that my kids are learning to drive I told them that I was going to teach them how to change a tire. However I wasn't going to be mean and make them go out in the cold to do it. So in the next several weeks when it starts to warm up I will pick a weekend and teach them all about how to use the tire iron and the many jacks we own. It's because I'm a good father who cares about my children.

The irony is that today is the coldest day we have seen this Winter. My wife and I need to go get some groceries but I have a flat tire. So while I was willing to let the kids wait until warm weather to do this kind of thing, some other power in the universe is making me do it in -7 degrees.

Now that my kids are learning to drive I told them that I was going to teach them how to change a tire. However I wasn't going to be mean and make them go out in the cold to do it. So in the next several weeks when it starts to warm up I will pick a weekend and teach them all about how to use the tire iron and the many jacks we own. It's because I'm a good father who cares about my children.

The irony is that today is the coldest day we have seen this Winter. My wife and I need to go get some groceries but I have a flat tire. So while I was willing to let the kids wait until warm weather to do this kind of thing, some other power in the universe is making me do it in -7 degrees.
These are the days of just calling AAA. Knowing how to change a tire, check tire pressure, oil levels, swap motors etc were essential to us. That's awesome for you to teach your kids that stuff, Steve. Most seem to not have the time nor patience for it anymore. They just post on TikToc about how their car is broke and it is their parents fault. It was no way my fault i drove into a ditch lol.

What group were you in?
I'll give you the abridged version of what I told my wife and daughter.

Growing up it was my dream to have a full set of Makita power tools. They are a California based company so there were a lot of professional trades workers who swore by them when I was a kid in Los Angeles. I'm sure there were kids like me on the East Coast who feel the same way about Milwaukee tools. Back then the tool of choice for just light work around the house was Black & Decker, good stuff but not as rugged and capable as Makita. One was for fixing things around the house while the other was for building a house.

If you had the money DeWalt was like the Cadillac version of what Black & Decker offered. These tools were more expensive but also built better and could hold their own against the more rugged tools contractors used. If you wanted to do some major remodeling or building an addition to your house this was the next best thing to a Makita or Milwaukee.

Today though, I'm not a construction worker but I do like to fix stuff around the house. A year ago I borrowed a friends Makita brand angle grinder and it was like getting the chance to drive your dream car for a weekend. However, my priorities have changed a bit and I've taken a keen interest in Ryobi tools.

They are owned by Home Depot so that's the only place to get them and their parts, which I'm not thrilled about. I like Home Depot, don't mind spending money there and don't think they are going out of business anytime soon. But I like the idea of being able to get what I need at any hardware store over exclusive brands. On the plus side Ryobi has put a lot of thought into their cordless technology where every tool is able to use the same battery. While other brands have some interchangeability with a few tools, Ryobi offers this across all their tools. This struck me as an interesting "gimmick" at first. But a while back I got myself a new EGO brand electric mower and a few other EGO tools that all use the same battery. It's actually a really nice feature only needing one or maybe two batteries for an entire job. So while I've not made up my mind enough to go buy $1000+ of power tools to replace what I have now, Ryobi is looking better and better as a "DIY around the house" quality tool line.

My forecast today:

419294216_767917608710928_6825813969891103616_n.jpg

36 degrees here, with wind gusts up to 40 mph, and wind chill 24 F (minus 4 C). Our temps will drop lower and lower during the coming week. Pain levels will rise...

• Wow
Reactions: Paintman