Studying Norse mythology

Alpha2275

Reaction score
I typically reserve research on mythology and cultures for when I'm home for long periods of time due to covid (more so now) but have been studying cultures for a long time. Norse mythology has been the topic lately which has been very eye opening since I mostly have a huge German /Norwegian background. It's been kind of interesting especially fenrir, Odin his Ravens and wolves and of course Thor and luki. What does everyone think of Norse mythology

I typically reserve research on mythology and cultures for when I'm home for long periods of time due to covid (more so now) but have been studying cultures for a long time. Norse mythology has been the topic lately which has been very eye opening since I mostly have a huge German /Norwegian background. It's been kind of interesting especially fenrir, Odin his Ravens and wolves and of course Thor and luki. What does everyone think of Norse mythology
FB_IMG_1604966883369.jpg

As I have some Nordic ancestors this does interest me.From what I can gather it shaped their way of life, probably similar to different religions around to World.I think most,if not all have a common theme.It would be good if they all could unite but I don't think any of them will give any leeway.

I had a Norwegian professor in college, fascinating guy who had served as a teenager in the Norwegian Underground in WWII. His first name was "Odin."

Once on a quiz he offered a 5 point bonus to anyone who know who he was named after. I was the only one who got it right, he seemed impressed I knew who Odin was and therefore a bit about Norse mythology. He was visibly disappointed when I told him I learned about Odin reading "Thor" comic books as a young teen.

I have played an adventure PC game called Black Dahlia. It was based on the Black Dahlia murder but the creators added their own Norse twist to it that Nazis were hunting after a black gem that had the power to either summon or dethrone Odin by offering him 9 human sacrifices . The villain had to pluck out his eye to take the place of one-eyed Odin but failed if you succeeded in stopping him .

I know embarrassingly little of the culture, other than as the basis of the futhark runes, but you get a bit of a flavour of life just from them. Know a little of Freyja and Loki. Freyja is a very strong woman emotionally, and Loki, well he can be blamed for most things.
I was reading a fair bit on the little folk/ fairies there as there is more a belief in them there than this country. Probably due to a lot of their homes being in wooded areas.

Last edited:
There is a book called Teutonic Myth which is old and not really mentioned a lot but covers the Germanic part of the Norse story as they were related cultures IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozentity
I been very hooked on reading about Fenrir, Freki and Geri in one week. Fenrir more so because I find little about the other two. Granted frenir only takes the shape of a wolf where freki and geri are actual wolves in the mythology. The fact that fenrir was more so the ego ravenous God that he was, it kinda had been representing humans just a little bit more in today's age. Everyone feeling more important than others. But as I read how fenrir is actually bound, the question i had was what would actually free him? I read nothing about him actually getting free and causing mayhem. So it leaves me to wonder..hmm

The wolf cult is very prominent in European myth and I dont wonder why. The romans had romulus and remus who were fed by a she wolf. The god apollo is often associated with wolves too. The thing I find interesting in norse myth is the binding of fenris by tyr after losing his hand . Tyr the god of sacrifice and order for the tribe did what the others either could not or would not i guess. Ever since i met an actual wolf and saw how he looked at me i understand the fear wolves puts into people. I dont remember but fenris does become unbound in the end days of norse myth. An axe age, an ice age, a wolf age, I think thats how the poets described it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway
The wolf cult is very prominent in European myth and I dont wonder why. The romans had romulus and remus who were fed by a she wolf. The god apollo is often associated with wolves too. The thing I find interesting in norse myth is the binding of fenris by tyr after losing his hand . Tyr the god of sacrifice and order for the tribe did what the others either could not or would not i guess. Ever since i met an actual wolf and saw how he looked at me i understand the fear wolves puts into people. I dont remember but fenris does become unbound in the end days of norse myth. An axe age, an ice age, a wolf age, I think thats how the poets described it.
Interesting yeah I'm still digging into that area. wolves are my spirit animal as every indigenous person I have met has said so the energy the wolf gives off including their soul and spirit. As often people fear wolves they are actually quite harmless. Wolf attacks are very rare at least in the USA. they mostly just give farmers problems. And wolves are of course ancestors to our beloved canines we love in our homes. With all animals giving space and respect to them is the ultimate benefit of keeping them alive and Coexist.