Maybe not so paranormal, you decide.

PratchysRevenge

Reaction score
So this happened in around 1998.

Me and the wife had a couple over for the evening. Played cards and visited until kinda late. There was no alcohol, these folks didn't imbibe. And they left right around midnight.

Our kids were out of town visiting my parents. We had gone to bed and just a few short hours later were awoke by the sound of the smoke detectors. Of course you wake up in sheer terror. My eyes flew open and the house was full of smoke. Me and the wife hit the floor at the same time.

Now my mind was on one thing and one thing only. The kids in bed upstairs. So I ran through the house and to the stairs and hauled ass up them. Halfway up.............. the alarms quit. I stopped and realized the kids weren't here, they were with my parents.

My wife was right behind me. As I turned to look at her I realized the smoke I had seen was gone. The air was clear. I asked her, "I heard the smoke alarms and saw smoke, didn't I?" She confirmed.

Had just the smoke alarms malfunctioned I could buy that. But I saw smoke. The whole downstairs was thick with it. My wife saw it too.

I later asked my buddy that had been over that night if he'd played some kind of prank on us. He's a prankster kinda guy. I wasn't sure what he could have done that would have caused such a thing to happen. And he was actually a little offended that I questioned him. Fire being such a dangerous event.

So, what do you think? I know we both heard the alarms. But how did we both see smoke? Power of suggestion?

It could have been a parapsychic event.

Possible explanation ?:

Sometime in the past, the same event did actually happen in that house, for real.
Naturally, it would have made a very dramatic impression on the psyche of whoever was living there at the time.
Such powerful emotions have been known to leave their psychic (footprint) in the atmosphere of the place where they were experienced.

Assuming there have been other owners of your home, before you. or your house was built on the site of a previous dwelling.

You and your wife could have simply both spontaneously tuned into that impression, that possibly permeates the atmosphere of your home.
Thank you

Yes and the chances are that the date you experienced the event would have great significance to when the incident would have first taken place. Experiences similar to this involving fire are more common than people think, I have been called to premises in the UK where a family has seen smoke, experienced breathing difficulty caused by smoke and heard the sound of timbre in the building structure roaring and crackling as flames ripped through it. Ye in two different cases I have experienced there was no fire, burning or signs of it. As Cass stated the impressions left can be very strong. In both properties where this happened, all the householders of both didn't believe in such things, but afterwards they all could not find any other explanation.

One significant thing in both these properties, upon investigating historically, as they were both very old buildings, both had fires that caused loss of life.

I don't know how old your property is, whether it has any great age, but I wonder if you can perhaps research if there is any record of any major fire in the building, or failing that the land or other properties that existed on the plot where your property was built.

Brightest blessings

Reactions: Cass and 7Critter
Well, about the property. We built the house in 1994. There were no structures to our knowledge ever where our house stands.

But, this property has a lot of history in the area. The McKays were the first white settlers in Williamson county. This is late 1700s, early 1800s. Prior to the McKays this was all Indian territory. In the woods behind my house, maybe 150 yards is the cemetery where the family is buried. We live on part of the farmland that was the McKays.

Reactions: Debi
I’ve often pondered about these “replay” events in haunting. The most puzzling part is how multiple people can experience the same rerun at the same time. Any thoughts on that? I’m stumped.

Sometime in the past, the same event did actually happen in that house, for real.
I like that idea.The smoke alarm turning off by itself is verification.An interesting paranormal event allround imo.

Reactions: Paintman
I’ve often pondered about these “replay” events in haunting. The most puzzling part is how multiple people can experience the same rerun at the same time. Any thoughts on that? I’m stumped.
If the people are open,they'd be open to seeing an event.

I'm not sure why that happened with yours but in my town there's a very old large hotel converted into rental units and every time one of the old tenants falls asleep with the cooking on the entire building is startle awake and evacuated with very loud deafening smoke alarms ringing. Maybe ghosts are easier to live with then some people.

Reactions: Debi
If the people are open,they'd be open to seeing an event.
Could you explain in a little more detail about the mechanics of how that happens? I’m interested in how science can bridge the gap to the paranormal. And I think multi-witness events hold the key.

I'm not into the science of these things but I think one day it will become accepted by the general public, but not for a long time yet,Although its starting to gain more interest from scientists I hear.For now its just a knowing.