Making the bed...

With all the travel I've had over the years, I can sleep (or at least what sleep I get) almost anywhere. I've slept in five star hotels and on a leaky air mattress on an aircraft hanger floor. Bedding doesn't really bother me, although I'm not a fan of foam rubber pillows. I can't sleep sitting up or in a noisy environment.

The one big issue in the Duke matrimonial bed is Mrs Duke is always cold, and insists of either lots of blankets and/or an electric blanket. I prefer light covers and to be slightly chilly. Being cold seems to help my fibromyalgia.
yes cold bedroom! nice. And I too am the Countess and the pea sleeper and percale sheets.It took me years to figure out how sand (a grain) of sand gets in my sheets.(On bottom of feet when i curl up on my side.)... I gave more than 1 overnight visitor a scare when at around three am I would jump out of bed,furiously beating on the mattress,waving the sheets and cursing trying to get rid of that 1 grain of something that had gotte
princess and the pea 5 princess and the pea The, Princess, and, Pea GIF
n in my sheets...nightmare. Personally,I prefer to sleep alone.I don't know how couples can sleep together. EEEEEK. Get outta my auric field!

Last edited:
firm mattress, thick cotton sheets, quilts or true bed spreads, no poofy comforters and nothing nylon or imitation fabrics.......we have a king size and two twin beds, all wrought iron antique style with head board and foot board. pillows are firm.
FYI Paul is a fantastic artist!! I love my snake staff he carved for me. Incredible work. Even the display case he put it in is divine.Thanks again,Paul

a leaky air mattress on an aircraft hanger floor.
you shoulda jumped in a c-130 or chinook if one was nearby. the net seating is as good as a hammok...lol.... and grabbed a poncho liner, best blanket ever made, they are....
the worst nights sleep ive ever had was under an m-1 abrams on a live fire range....but after that i realized i can sleep anywhere....drop and flop at its finest

Reactions: Selectric and Duke
FYI Paul is a fantastic artist!! I love my snake staff he carved for me. Incredible work. Even the display case he put it in is divine.Thanks again,Paul
Thank you, Jad

When we first married, the bed was a big problem. Mr. Garnet didn't like a bouncy box spring, I didn't mind one. He liked firm; (like Debi said, I thought maybe he could sleep on plywood, lol.) We tried a futon mattress and I woke in pain every day. So we tried a memory foam mattress; he couldn't stand it and I grew to dislike how it held heat. Mr. Garnet also was a blanket thief; he would roll over and take the covers with him. I like a head and foot board, he doesn't.

Finally he built us each a twin sized bed frame, and we placed the mattress of our choice on each. He has a firm futon mattress, and I have a semi firm one. I have a head and foot board, and he doesn't. The beds sit right next to each other, so it is like a queen sized bed. We use separate bedding, too. He likes to use his sleeping bag when it's cold, I like the weight of many blankets. Finally, we found a compromise!
That's my next bed! Thanks for a great idea!

you shoulda jumped in a c-130 or chinook if one was nearby. the net seating is as good as a hammok...lol.... and grabbed a poncho liner, best blanket ever made, they are....
the worst nights sleep ive ever had was under an m-1 abrams on a live fire range....but after that i realized i can sleep anywhere....drop and flop at its finest
I don't know how you guys do that. I know my husband can fall asleep sitting up and sleep for two hours that way and wake up refreshed. Even his dog sleeps "sitting" up...front feet up and back end sitting down with her head resting on his hip. I have since learned this is actually a "normal" thing for English Bulldogs, but it's freaky to see them both sitting up and sound asleep.

I've got a fair bit of time in the back of C-130s, never much cared for the center facing, mesh seats. Earlier model Hercs had a set of crew rest bunks behind the FE. Spent some time in those, but I don't remember ever sleeping.

e.I don't know how couples can sleep together. EEEEEK. Get outta my auric field!
I remember a doctor saying couples over 50 should have separate beds to get a good sleep.

Reactions: Paulm
I have a twin bed with a Serta Foam Memory Mattress topper with a comforter and two pillows. The bed sheets and spread are Bamboo or 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton. Immediately in front of me sits a Vornado personal fan to make it even cooler at night and provide a little background noise. It's both cool and comfy. And I think I'm getting sleepy just thinkin' about it. :p

• Big Grin
Reactions: Lynne and Debi