Deep question

Part two. Years ago little Billy would get picked on in school. Billy gets in a fight with the bully, and both kids get two days of after school detention. With today's legal climate, and the huge costs of insurance against zero tolerance rules, little Billy has no recourse.
Little Billy picks up a gun.
A school gets shot up because a fist fight is intolerable.
That is my point about pendulums swinging without regard. Unintended consequences.

Reactions: 7Critter and Lynne
Unfortunately, I see the opposite. On the surface, people seem more tolerant. However, that is just for show, imo. Underneath, prejudices are WORSE. I hear it from customers all the time. I think they must think all white people think like themselves. I also see it in almost every retail setting I have visited.

And it is just not white people. I have black people complaining about "most" whites and Mexicans. And all complain about Asians.

Don't get me started on talk about Native Americans.

Sorry, I think things are worse...
I think the only difference between racism now and racism then is people only share that in the comfort of their own homes instead of joining their local Klan or something of that nature.

But In retail ive heard a lot of ignorant things spoken by people. Perhaps thinking because I’m a cashier I’ll agree with them or something.

But I must say in America and Canada, violent crimes have dropped with the exception of a couple cities in our respective countries.

Reactions: Paintman
I'm taking a look back...like about 40 years. :) Back in my hippie days, I made a promise to myself to look back someday and see if we'd made any progress on the mindset of peace and love. Did our our message back then, our protests, our little peace signs, make a difference to the world at large?

Taking government out of the equation (as we all know they are pretty much war based and who's got the biggest stick), have we as a species made progress on our spiritual selves? Have we, as humans, moved to be a more loving society? (I warned you this was a deep question!!!) Did that "paradigm shift" happen?

What differences do you see from "back in the day" to "who we are now." Good or bad, is mankind moving towards the light? Or are we stuck in the same old rut?

Part two. Years ago little Billy would get picked on in school. Billy gets in a fight with the bully, and both kids get two days of after school detention. With today's legal climate, and the huge costs of insurance against zero tolerance rules, little Billy has no recourse.
Little Billy picks up a gun.
A school gets shot up because a fist fight is intolerable.
That is my point about pendulums swinging without regard. Unintended consequences.
Brings me to another issue. And I’ve been in this situation. I’ve been bullied pretty bad in high school. One time a kid threatened to kill me, saying it in front of a teacher. Btw this guys been charged with battery before and rumoured to be an arsonist. Teacher did nothing. Told another teacher, nothing. Told the principal, nothing. At least the secretary walked me home.

Step mom did nothing and made me go to school. So to keep myself safe I carried a knife to protect myself. It never got used against him or anyone, thank God.

In Canada we have what’s called a clause of necessity meaning you can go above the law (within reason) to protect life and limb. That law didn’t protect me and I nearly get charged for battery. The Kids now an untouchable drug dealer and I have that incident on my psychiatric records :)

It’s not a zero tolerance for bullying, it’s zero tolerance for protection.

I seriously think kids need to be taught in schools that they shouldn’t be a bullie’s doormat. My mother taught me well and that didn’t end well with the schools.

Brings me to another issue. And I’ve been in this situation. I’ve been bullied pretty bad in high school. One time a kid threatened to kill me, saying it in front of a teacher. Btw this guys been charged with battery before and rumoured to be an arsonist. Teacher did nothing. Told another teacher, nothing. Told the principal, nothing. At least the secretary walked me home.

Step mom did nothing and made me go to school. So to keep myself safe I carried a knife to protect myself. It never got used against him or anyone, thank God.

In Canada we have what’s called a clause of necessity meaning you can go above the law (within reason) to protect life and limb. That law didn’t protect me and I nearly get charged for battery. The Kids now an untouchable drug dealer and I have that incident on my psychiatric records :)

I seriously think kids need to be taught in schools that they shouldn’t be a bullie’s doormat. My mother taught me well and that didn’t end well with the schools.
Here in the US there is more awareness of Bullying however there are still mean kids doing it. Online bullying seems to be the next level.

So sad that happened to you.

One of my kids was bullied like you were. This went on and on for months without my knowledge. Big brother (by 4 years and my oldest) finally heard about it and this bully kid lived in the neighborhood. The bully was well known in the area and older than the kids he picked on. Oldest son one day saw this kid picking on the younger ones and took him on. There was a sudden STOP to all this kid's bullying from that time on. I did go see bully boy's mom. She was like "boys will be boys." Ugh.

I'm really sorry that happened to you, Charleh. It tends to stick with you.

One of my kids was bullied like you were. This went on and on for months without my knowledge. Big brother (by 4 years and my oldest) finally heard about it and this bully kid lived in the neighborhood. The bully was well known in the area and older than the kids he picked on. Oldest son one day saw this kid picking on the younger ones and took him on. There was a sudden STOP to all this kid's bullying from that time on. I did go see bully boy's mom. She was like "boys will be boys." Ugh.

I'm really sorry that happened to you, Charleh. It tends to stick with you.
I’m living with it. But the education system seriously needs a reform